If you are a mow n go what do you do about weed control?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Nov 22, 2012.

1. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

If you are just a mow n go business and the customer ask you about weed control do you recommend them to some where else or do you work with some one that does that?

2. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

There are three options:

1.) Have a weed control contractor you work with exclusively who you trust who you can recommend to your customers. This contractor can give you commission for the referral or you can be satisfied with giving him the account knowing he will take good care of the customer. Try to avoid someone who offers what you offer as they may take the account.

2.) Work with a contractor who would act as your subcontractor. You bid the work or he bids the work. If you bid the work you should already know his pricing structure so you can be sure not to underbid the work. If he bids the work, have him submit the bid to you and then you have the option to add an additional fee to profit from the transaction or not.

3.) Shrug your shoulders and tell the customer to look someone up on the internet.

Suggestion #3 isn't where I would go.

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Go get what they need, do it and get paid.

4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

His #1 doesn't work. I've even cut someone out that I worked with.

5. Spring Valley Lawn Service

Spring Valley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I don't do weed control. I recommend them to the company that does my yard

6. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Find a reputable company in the area who fert/weed control is all they do. Then, either put the customer in contact with said company, or build it into their monthly rate. The company I work with gives me a discount so I can bill the customer the normal billing rate.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I refer fertilization & weed control to a local company I like and know the owner's wife.

8. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

Since this is in the 'starting business' area, I assume you are new.

Network, network, and network.

Have a company that you know will do the job correctly that you either subcontract to. Stay away from referring them to someone who cuts grass as well since the customer might just switch to them for ease. If you don't want to subcontract, have the weed company throw you a bone every time someone asks them 'where can I get my grass cut'

Regardless, find a way to make money off it

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Does the owner know that? :laugh:

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I don't know her in the biblical sense, but yes he does, lol. She was one of my high school classmates. She's a sweetie.