If you are a mow n go what do you do about weed control?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Isenberg Lawn Care

Isenberg Lawn Care LawnSite Member

How do you go about getting trained and licensed? Itd be good to do this part of the work to expand business opportunities a little more.

2. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

I took it in the Spring in NC I did pass but, yes it was difficult for me. Get the books early and study, study study. It wasn't the type of test that you could just study the questions and answers in the review chapter sections in the books and expect to pass. Know all the material.

3. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

The test is not difficult. The first part is mainly common sense questions you should pass that easily. Just review the questions in the back of each chapter and you will be good. The turf and ornamental can be tricky but a lot of the answers appear in other questions and the rest is common sense and they had 1 calculation question. Make sure you know about the characteristics and damages of the most mentioned bugs in the turf and ornamental sections of the book such as the white grubs, Japanese beetles and the 2 different caterpillars that form web like nets and how to distinguish them from each other. Also know about the 2 beetles that attack trees. Also know the three types of grasses and distinguish them from each other and know your basic crabgrass weeds.
    Also know the meaning of peri-annaul and bi-annual. Everything I mentioned you should pass. good luck.

4. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Good stuff thanks.

5. wildstarblazer

I'm going to an industry expo that will have 2 day training and you can take the test after. (I may wait to study more and take the test local though) .

Each state is different. You need to search your local colleges and tech schools to find a course and/or material to study to take the test.

6. Isenberg Lawn Care

Isenberg Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Would the 2 day training session give enough education? Or would it just be the basics? Im not quite sure what to search for online to look into it. Its tough working full time currently and also doing Lawn Care. Although I want to further educate myself and also to expand my services.

7. wildstarblazer

Check the pest control forum here at lawn site. They have info on what you need.;)

8. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

Check your state department of agriculture. Look around for the pesticide application areas. I assume you live in Pennsylvania so I copied the link below were you might need to start looking. You may be able to study on your own. They may provide you with study material through the mail for a small fee. Give your self 2 months of studying part time since you are already working full time. Call some numbers on the link below so someone can possibly point you in the right direction and expalin your situation to them and go from there. Good Luck

Click the link below.

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/...Technicians&navid=12&parentnavid=0&palid=113&

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012