if you are being paid by the HOUR......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 5, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a different scenerio, this one involves me personally: when i worked at the printshop.... i was about 25 yrs old. i worked afternoon shift (3-11 pm). there was always tons of overtime, sat, sun, 12 hr shifts, whatever you wanted. well, pay day was thursday. the previous week, i had worked my 40 hrs, plus sat and sunday, plus overtime on the weekdays. somebody owed me alot of money.FOR VARIOUS REASONS, the management and myself were always butting heads. it was a "tit for tat" thing. they'd screw me, i'd screw em back, and so on. being single, i got raped in taxes, but it was still alot of money. thursday came, my shift started, they handed out paychecks. WHAT THE HECK!!!!! no overtime, they paid me my regular 40 hrs, but no overtime pay(roughly $650). i stormed into my supervisor's office, and demanded my money. he said they will get it to me next week. i said bullsh!t, i want it NOW!. no way he said, it was a mistake, to be corrected next week. i was furious. i refused to work. i sat down on top of the machine, and said i will not work till i'm paid in full. he demanded i move. i said nope, and if u touch me, i'll sue you. he called the plant manager, i told him the same thing. they called the union rep, i told him the same thing. finally after holding up production for about 1.5 hrs, they sent the secretary to me. she said, "bob, i called payroll, they have a check waiting for you, go ahead and pick it up." (payroll dept was located like 5 miles down the highway) i said, "nope, everyone else gets thier check here, i want my check right here, or i aint moving. you'll have to call the police to move me out in shackles." she goes back in the office, comes out with her coat on, and goes and picks up my check. after 2 hrs of protest, i am paid in full, and production resumes. NOW, tell me, did they have a right to short my pay? did i have a right to refuse to work? could i have been terminated? would they have suffered any legal penalties from the dept of labor for shorting my pay? for firing me?

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Bobby,

Was it a rotogravure or offset press?

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u crack me up

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

harris m-110, offset web press. with full inline finishing capabilities

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

NOW, tell me, did they have a right to short my pay?

<b>No, but if it was a mistake has they said then they probably were covered legally</b>

did i have a right to refuse to work?

<b>Who knows.</b>

could i have been terminated?

<b>You could have been in NC, because NC is a No Fault Employment (No reason to fire) State. Each State sets their own laws on this.</b>

would they have suffered any legal penalties from the dept of labor for shorting my pay? f

<b>Probably not</b>

or firing me?

<b>In NC the worst that would have happened to them is you could have collected Unemployment from their employers account.</b>

6. GreenMonster

from NH

Yeah, I've worked on them.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

You're probably lucky they didn't fire you over stopping production. Musta been a good union.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

you've done inline finishing? what type? are you currently a printer? how long have you/were you, in printing?

8. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Did they have a right to short your pay? No. Did they do it on purpose? Hard to say since you said you were always at odds with each other. Did you have a right to refuse to work? You were in a union, what did the contract say?

9. GreenMonster

from NH

Nope. Never done any printing. Wouldn't know the first thing about operating one.

I have worked on em, though. Install and/or precision alignment. Commercial web & roto, as well as newsprint. Have worked at all of the major NY papers.

They make Harris presses (no longer Harris, BTW) the next town over from our shop. We used to go over there a lot and do the factory set-up/alignment on them.

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Interesting, Bob. I also used to work at a printers. I was a stripper and plate maker. Double ultrasided burn plate makers, awesome machines. I worked at Johnson City Publishing Co. in Johnson City New York for about a year. My GF at the time worked in the bindary. You can keep that junk.....I'd never work in the bindary,lol.