If you cant mow any lower, dont come.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jun 20, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Had a call on my machine today from a new client I picked up 2 months ago from my paper add. Said her yard was so bad I needed to cut it lower or not come. I called her back slightly irritated and explained to her I had been cutting her yard on 1.75 and I could not help all the rain weve had and Im not cutting it no lower than that. I tried to explain to her that most of my other clients have gone to every week but she said she could not afford it. Also told her s little lower could damage her grass but was not good enough. Still complained, I thanked her for her biz and told her she needed to get someone else to do it. Silence, then she said "your not going to cut my grass, its horrible" Told her no mam, Im not unless its every week and you said no so have a nice day and ended the call. Dang, I didnt know I could control grass growth and rain and still mow eow! Itsamazing what people expect out of us, want the yard cut eow and expect it to look the same as every week. BTW, this was the same lady I cut her gas line and gave her a free cutting and took care of the problem of the line. She is the reason I now have insurance.
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

Hey, where did MORETORQUE post go to? He was a comical dude! I miss my lady friend from California too! I need to meet this gal!
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Sorry QualityLawn, I know you take it in stride, but moretorque's post was out of line.

MORETORQUE LawnSite Member

The God's must be angry with me, they always throw me out of everyplace I go. God has no sence of humor I guess? That was a great post they deleted. I guess this place must be about brimestone and FIRE !

Just remember to go out fighting.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

Its OK Jodi, I have a good sense of humor, you have to to be in lawncare! LOL and expecially on LS, you gotta get your chops busted a few times, and Im probably the unluckiest person on here! :D
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

QualityLawnCare4u, next time you have a customer request this do this. Explain to them that cutting their lawn that short will make a real mess and likely kill the grass. Put on a good set of high lift blades only mount them upside down then go ahead and cut it at the low setting. The lawn will look exactly like you said it would. I think they will leave the grass height up to you from that point on. If they don't then oh well on to the next customer. Don't forget to take pictures before and after for us.
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

High lifts upside down? LOL, now that would make a fine looking lawn!
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I think she did you a favor or you did yourself a favor by getting rid of this problem you do not need.

Yes when they tell me like that - Cut it lower or don't come - I don't even call them back, I know the answer: Don't come... And cross them off my schedule.

I cut ALL my lawns same height and I change the height for NOBODY. How you cut that low amazes me, I cut 3 inches and that is as low as that wide deck is going, period. Any lower, it could scalp - Any higher, it will streak.
    That and 3 inches is recommended by Chemlawn and I love those guys, what a tail-saver those fertilizer guys are.
    Besides, ALL my machines are at the exact same height and that is not that easy - It took months and months of fooling around with different size washers to get the bladebolt-spindle-blade spacing just right between all 3 Wb's. Why all mowers the exact same? Well because if one breaks in the middle of the yard, I can load up and come right back with another WB and keep on cutting and you can NOT tell the difference.
    Not only that but I been cutting at this height for so long, change the height and it changes the characteristics of my machine - I can no longer be sure if the blades will clear a rock or root I'm about to ride over, and that's how windows get broken.

Yeah FTS of changing blade height, I don't do that no more.
    And they are the reason I cancelled my insurance.
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

Cutting yards at 2 inches is not uncommon in my area. Flat,level ground with slow growing centipede. I mowed one Friday that I have not done it 5 weeks, yes that was 5 weeks, and actually had a hard time telling where I mowed and still needed to mow. The grass was green and healthy, just had not grown any, this was the guy I posted about that wanted his yard only mowed once a month or so. I normally mow on 2.75 or 3 on about 75% of my yards and a few are 3.25. I knew from the git go this lady would be trouble, just my gut instinct and I was hoping I was wrong, but not.
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You should have picked her up and took her out to lunch and tried to discuss the issue with her. Maybe you could have convinced her your was the correct way. :realmad: Friendliness and patience will get you NO where, except broke :D