If you could buy any skid steer/loader which one would it be

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by John464, Feb 25, 2007.

1. John464

John464 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

going to be getting demo's on most brands of skid steers/loaders in the next coming weeks. Would like to purchase soon, April-May. Budget is 40k. If you could choose one for a tree service which one would you pick and why. We would be using this unit with a grapple bucket to pick up large, long logs

The most important factors to consider

#1 turf freindly -grasss can be fluffed back up with a rake and no sign of damage
    #2 lift height -reaches high enough to load a dump truck from the rear or even over the sides
    #3 can carry a heavy load -larger logs we can handle the more productive it will be

Lets hear which ones I should be demo'ing
  2. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

man, you are trying to start a war.

look at all the machines with 3000+ ROC

the big machines with rubber tracks don't impress me with their claims of "turf friendly" I own one and it will tear up a yard faster than tires anyday.

If you are serious about capacity and turf friendly for a tree service I would look at the articulated loaders. there are many ones avaliable.

Takeuchi has one
    Swinger is a brand
    kubota makes one

and there are sure to be many more in the ROC and operation weight you would require.
  3. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

the A300 bobcat would be pretty turf friendly when it is in all wheel steer mode. would have pretty good lift also.
    good luck
  4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think that turf friendly and a machine in that weight class are very compatable. I would agree that a compact loader may be your best choice. However even they will rut a yard. Picking up logs requires articulating the machine when that happens whether it be tracks or tires, grass gets tore up. The A300 may be the less of the evils, that or a mini loader but you wont get either at the money you want to spend at least not new.
  5. John464

John464 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

tearing up the grass in a few small spots where we are pickin up the tree isnt much of an issue as we normally have to lift the compacted turf with a pitch fork in that area anyhow due to the force of where the tree has landed. what I am concerened about is making damage across an entire path of someone's yard

There are so many options out there that I dont know which one is best for us. Thanks for the advice so far guys. Please keep the suggestions coming!

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I would say the Bobcat A300 would be what you want since all wheel steer and can handle a lot of weight, but your not going to be getting it for 40K more like 55K
  7. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I'd look at a used A300.

That should be in the $40k range.
  8. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

The bobcat a300 is a good choice. You may be able to get a used winter rental return machine for about 40k. Something to look into atleast. Other than that I would say a cat with the new " turf" tracks. A few of the tree services up here have been running them since our October storm and seem to like them. But you will be way over your 40k mark. Even for a used machine with tracks that is decent you will be looking at around 43k.
  9. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

if you are not dead set on a skid steer i have done some of the same work with a B300 backhoe. grapple up front and move pretty good sized trees no problem. the B300 has the same all wheel steer the A300 does. also you can spin around and pop stumps up with the backhoe. B300 or the I/R version can be had for much less than the A300. the downside is you can't run any attachments requiring much hydraulic flow.
  10. John464

John464 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Right now I am thinking an ASV RC60, Bobcat T190 or a Swinger 2000 all equipped with a grapple