If you could go back and change...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sean Adams, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I was just curious.... If you had to make a list of 5 things you would change about your business, how you started, mistakes you made, or whatever....what would they be?

2. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

There isn't anything you guys would change? C'mon....

I think this is an interesting question. Maybe I'm wrong.

3. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

if i could change anything it would be..... i wouldnt have taken those cut it when they call customer back when i first started the business. the second would be.....i would have bought a company that was offered to me last year.

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

What can you possibly say to this thread Sean? I imagine anyone of us that started out took on anything an everything, including the PITA's. Till the time we could start weeding them out.
    I also imagine anyone of us that first started fumbled with bids, and got stung a few times. Somedays we hit a home run, other days we just get on base. A few days during the year we strike out. Just starting out what could you really change?
    Its a constant learning experience...The old saying that you learn something everyday, pretty much sizes it up. my .02

;)

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Would have got an eXmark instead of a Scag :mad: :eek: :p :rolleyes:

6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

1 start out solo not with two partners

2 should of got a ZTR my first year not 3 W/B

3 to many loans my first year

4 bill per hour not by the job

5 should of got a new bobcat not a used one with 2300 hours with bad tires and a broken bucket latch from A to Z rental...LOL

6 stay away from churches LOL

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No sense sweating the small stuff because they all can be chalked up to learning experiences.

One thing I would change.

Not buying a house where we are located and starting this business here. Shouldn't have been so naive and so quick to stay here. Should have picked a different area in PA to launch the business. Is the "grass greener" in other areas? Yes, I believe it is.

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I would have never purchased the Scag Dealership. I hate being inside all the time. Sold it a year later and started from scratch again.

9. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't want to change anything in my business because everything is good right now. The only thing I wish I had changed that affects my business is the fact that I won't be able to drive until September. I wish I were born in December of 86 so I woulda been able to drive this Spring.

10. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't want to change anything in my business because everything is good right now. The only thing I wish I had changed that affects my business is the fact that I won't be able to drive until September. I wish I were born in December of 86 so I woulda been able to drive this Spring. Oh and one more thing, I shoulda bought this mower about two months ago that was a brand new Scag hydro with 17hp Kaw. and cathcher and dual wheel sulky for $2000. Oh well, hopefully another one like that will come along.