If you could go back in time and start business over again, where would you be?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

If you had the opportunity to go somewhere else in your life, if you could go back in time and start your lawn business over again, what location would you pick and why? Do you think you'd have more business? Would you enjoy the weather better? Make more money?

2. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

I often wonder if I would take the same path. If I had to change something, I wish I would have put more money into yellow page advertising in my early days. I went 10 years limping along with responses from a small newspaper ad. Since investing in a large yellow pages ads my revenues have more than tripled and I can be incredibly picky on who I take.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man I would've done a LOT of things different if I could do the last 20 years over and MOST of it do NOT involve running a business but everything that came before it would've made a difference, too (like money SAVED).
    But what can you do, I'd give BOTH my nuts for it but so far, no takers.

The one thing I would say I would change, more than anything, is like the other guy said: 24/7-365 POWER advertising. Here where I am, the newspaper ad IS good enough (but it's a select publication and the ONLY one I know works so good and it's NOT the main paper), I would NEVER do flyers again, opting instead to have put the money into the paper ad and run it week after week after week until I had SO much work I would've never went through SOME of the customer-influenced headaches of my first 2 years.

Alas, live and learn, I think we all make the SAME mistakes, try as they might those oldtiming men still fail to make us heed.

4. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

I absolutely can't imagine a better place to do lawns than where I am at, Hollywood, FL, for so many different obscure reasons that add up. It is truly the mecca of lawns, as far as I know. Just one of the obscure reasons, to exemplify: No hills, so no need for a powerful (gas guzzling, expensive) truck to pull equipment around (although those are fun to own and show off).

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if i could turn back the hands of time........i would not change a thing in my personal life, with the exception of a few individuals i'd prefer to have not had contact with. other than that, i would have started my business at 18, rather than 31. i would have started, and stayed, right here in central new jersey. this is the place, right here. i'd go where the money grows on trees, where the water, tastes like wine, right here in new jersey, the best state in the nation

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

If I knew then what I know now I would have been better off for sure. I wouldn't change a whole lot about the area, or service provided, but I would have operated the business and marketing in a totally different way. I started when it was still a young industry, but didn't Market the way I should have.

This thread should be an example of why new guys should listen to the veterans who have made the mistakes and learned from them.

More then changing the business, I wish I could go back to high school... I would keep by butt out of the stoner parking lot and focus more on my education. I would have also finished my college education which was short lived by attending a party college.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Like Bobbygedd, I would have started sooner in life. I would also would have got my applicators license first and probably would have stayed away from mowing. I would have taken some horticulture classes at the local 2 year college (and I still might).

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Start over again.....?

By now I'd be retired and living the good life...........

9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If I could start over, I think I would get into a business that isn't seasonal. I don't think there are many industries that aren't busier at certain times of year than others, but getting zero revenues from over 95% of your clients for 3 months each year is tough.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

10. WarEagleCRL

WarEagleCRL LawnSite Member

Wouldnt change location, but definately wouldn't have drug a partner along for four years (business nearly doubled 1st year he was gone) and would have bought a newer truck 3 years ago instead of pumping money into a peice of junk. Never keep a Chevy past 100k miles...at least past 150. Would've bought a Toyota 7 months ago instead of another Chevy.