If you could have one fall clean up toy??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

what would it be?

1. a lawn vacuum with tube attachment.
    2. a push blower.

I think the vac would be a lot handier especially since I would be able to use it in spring clean (for thatch) up as well as this fall but it costs at least twice as much a push blower.

I want to have a profitable fall which would you CHOOSE and why?

2. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

or 3. sub it out....o thats not a choice....but i would take any mower attachment...i like to ride...:clapping:

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I have a lawn vac with the tube. It sucks...wait, it DOESNT suck, that is what the problem is LOL. Darn crapsman JUNK...:hammerhead: I just use a rake, handheld blower, and a ZTR for fall cleanups. And the "leaf vac" just sits in the shed...anyone want it?

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The pushblower.

Because, you don't HAVE to haul with a pushblower, you can pick and choose those lots where you can blow it into the woods... With the trailer, you either HAUL and / or you spend more time piling up.

The pushblower cleans 4-6 times faster than the strongest backpack.
    That's just me thou... With my 10hp, I can load my 6x12 in 2 hours like this:
    [​IMG]

5. Freddy_Kruger

I will just be bagging and leaving it on the curb. The thing is I was looking at my yards (all city yards) and I was wondering how I would use a push blower, I might blow over the neighbours fence. I would likely have to clear out coners and bushs with back pack blower then blow the leaves to one side of the yard. Thats a lot of leaves you got there I suppose it would be just as fast for me to put in bags on the curb. I got this feeling I might be using rakes more than I would like.

hmm.. didn't expect anyone to say that.
    damn.
    Billy goat has vids on this site. http://www.billygoat.com/site/intro.aspx?pid=20

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Either a bad a$$ lawn vacum or a leaf loader and a dump insert for my truck.

Cheers
    Jeff

7. KS_Grasscutter

Well, i think it is just the Craftsman, really. Have seen the Billy Goat type work, and they seem to work a lot better. I think with a bigger amount of suction, and a MUCH bigger tube, it would be ok, but the handheld tube is tiny, and big wet leaves plug it up.

KS_Grasscutter

edit- this is supposed to be a reply to post 5, must of hit "reply" instead of "quote"

8. Freddy_Kruger

Could you tell me about the steel impellors? I don't understand excatly how they work. I was under the impression that they chop up the leaves reducing their volume significantly but they show bottles and cans being sucked up. I supposse these things could be grinded up eventhough I really wouldn't want broken glass around but what happens if a large steel thing a ma jig gets sucked up?

I had such a thing break my lawn mower deck (cost $90 bucks to weld the aluminum back together) because an employee didnt' know any better (or was stupid).

9. KS_Grasscutter

I REALLY have no idea of the innerworkings of the machine, never looked at it real closely. When I have used it, it seems to chop up the leaves pretty good, but dont do any better then a mower. They advertize like a 10:1 ratio on the leaves chopping...I'll bet a mower is dang close to that. And i am not sure i would want to run anything metal through it, just for the simple reason, the leaf vacs are NOT cheap...

10. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

This bad boy. Leaf Bales.:weightlifter:

204.jpg