If You Could Have Only One Club In The Bag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob E G, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Bob E G

Bob E G LawnSite Member
    from 53717

I plan on mowing residential lawns ranging in size from 5k to 25k in size. Planning to run ONE mower, probably a Wright Stander and I want to make an informed decision on the best SIZE.

If you could have only ONE MOWER would you get a:
    36" or 48"?

Will the 48" be significantly faster?
    Will there be many times when I can't get the 48 into places(other than small gates)?
    Better overhang for trimming with the 48" (less line trimming?)
    Less scalping with a 36"?

Any other input would be a big help!

THANKS!!!!

2. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

48" is a good size. I don't run anything small however my smaller yards start in the 25k's. The 32 in my sig does not really get used.

Cheers
    Jeff

4. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

how often do you run into obstacles that force you into tight turns and close calls?

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think gate sizes vary from area to area. Around here a lot of fence gates are 42" wide so if you had to run just one mower it would have to be a 36" Most gates run just barely more than 3 feet to 42"

6. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

if you are doing a lot of fenced in yards then you may want a 36".

Otherwise go with a 52" You may think the 4" difference doesn't matter but most manufactures use better everything on the bigger deck including frame, hydros, engine etc.

I highly recommend an ExMark with ECS. I have never used a stander so i cant compare.

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Around here most gates seem to be 4 foot. I run a 44 inch mower, that way it easily fits into the 48 inch gates. Have like 1 lawn with a 36" gate that I use a 21" mower on.

To answer your question though, I would run the 48 since you have some pretty good sized lawns. I would have another small mower for gated areas though.

8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow alot of properties in that range. This season the 48 got a couple of hundred hours on it and the 36 over a thousand. The first mower would be the 36.

9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If I only had one mower then it would have to be a Toro 32wb...I have alot of yards with tiny gates and Im not gonna pay to replace them....I currently run a Toro 36 wb and carry a Toro 21 Proline to get in the little gates.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Between 36" and 48".... no question I would get the 48"

Unless you have a lot of small gates to squeeze through, the 48" size is THE TICKET for a do-everything machine.