If you could start over....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, Apr 6, 2006.

?

If you could start over, would you:

1. Stay small, solo or no more than one crew

88 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Medium sized, full service, just a few crews

52 vote(s)
    24.8%
  3. Go big, grow the company as large as you can

39 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. Would not start a lawn care/landscaping biz again

31 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

For some of the folks who have been in business a while (at least over 5 years):
    If you could start all over from scratch, what would you do different, if anything, or would you do it at all? A comment was made in a thread the other day that got me thinking about this. This person said that if they could do it over they would stay small. What are your thoughts on the subject?

2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

I am starting over after being away for 7 yrs. I've spent a lot more on equipment to make things easier, advertising, and charging more.

3. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

This season is starting out horrible, lost over 60% of my work to low bidders & I have barley raised my prices in the 10+ years I have been at this. Mean while costs have skyocketed. When you look at total outlay vs return it is not worth it. Furthermore its not just me having these issues, I was talking to another LCO, he said same thing about himself & a friend I have never seen this before, its incredible. There definitly are easier/less stressfull ways to make a living.

4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

knowing what I know now, if time could be reversed I would buy an established , as you guys call em, bush hogging' business, we call them slashing contractors....you know, 80+ hp tractor with cutter on the rear...

these guys sit in air con cabs all day, and earn a fortune, and don't have to put up with the rubbish we do from clients.

The mowing has been good to me, but hard, bush hogging e.g paddock mowing/cutting, vacant land etc earns much more with much less b.s and effort.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I too have the uinique opportunity of starting over again since I'm moving to NC in about 5 weeks. I will stay a solo and really the only difference will be that I have much, much better equipment this time around. Just like the first time I started out I will only flyer the lower, middle and upper middle class neighborhoods and avoid the bottom and the top. There "may" be money at the bottom but I don't really feel like wasting time finding out. There is plenty of money in the top neighborhoods but there are also too many LCOs already there. I also avoid new sub-divisions. My reasoning is everybody there has just bought a mortgage and there usually isn't a whole of spare money when someone first gets a mortgage.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Boy does this sound familiar to me from 2 springs back. Lost 18 accounts in 6 weeks!

7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I would not start a lawn care business today. But if I knew 15 years ago what I know now I would have done a lot different. To many to mention....

8. Jay's Lawncare

Jay's Lawncare LawnSite Member

what part of nc you moving to if you dont mind me asking

9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I would love to hear it if you would be willing to type it out.

Looking back, what would you do?

Thanks

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I would not start a Lawn/landscape biz if I had a chance to do over, I don't like having everything we do depend on weather, and the fact that we are seasonal with the snow and the grass.

Thing is I have so much sweat and $$$ into it I've decided that the best thing is to keep going with it. I plan to start something else in a few years like by the time im 26 or 27. I find that in this business there is not much of a pay off in the end, esp. if your core business is mowing. For the time being Im gonna stick with it though, I don't really have a choice. I d o love the business though.