1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

If you could.....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by AlleganyLawnCare, Dec 11, 2006.

1. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

You know, I watch the show Flip This House all the time, and think that would be pretty neat to do. But you know what gets me? I know it is due to location and all, but how come out west 800 sf houses with no bedrooms go for like $300k and up, and waiters are able to get a loan for them, but out here - they would go more for like $10 to 15k. I wish I could go out and get a half-million dollar loan or more just like that.

I know real estate flipping seems like fun, but boy that is a risky enterprise if you don't do your homework.
  2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my goal also, and add Mini Storage. I also plan on rebuilding the Media Production to profitability.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This isn't my first go-round.
    I've been working on running my own since I was in my mid 20's.
    Finishing my 5th year as an Lco, I'm 40 now...
    I can't remember how many other things I've tried, but say at least a half dozen ventures.

Way I see things, every time I try something new, it's back to school all over again.
    The mistakes, the lack of experience, the failure to see or catch savings in cost, and countless other things only add up to monetary loss after loss.

I'm tired of going to school, I may expand later into tractor work and after that, likely maintenance.

But other than that, I'm through opening new businesses.
    Just glad I finally hit one nail square on the head, is all I know.
  4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

towing company already drive p/t and i love it
  5. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I ma going to open a recording studio...but it may take a while...a couple others I thought about are a good pizza joint (I am from Boston where pizza is actually good unlike in St. Louis where it is awful), and a mini golf, go-cart, driving range, & arcade entertainment center. I also thought of a teen style bar, where high school kids could have a place to go, get some pizza wings, watch games, play foosball, PS2, watch movies with their dates in a seperate room, or whatever. All of these ideas take some good loot though...
  6. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Coffee Shop for retired LCO's .. (or for rainy days)

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I would love to open and own a semi-private golf course. Need just a little more capitol.
  8. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

Don't we all? :) Is anybody close (i.e., next year or within a few years) to starting on their second "dream business"?
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Thats something I will get into soon, not because I have a big interest in it, just b/c you can never go wrong owning real estate. The cash flow and equity it generates is unbelieveable.
  10. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Open a Marina or a Restaurant or a Hotel or be a cop