If you could...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Team Gopher, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

If you could start your business over again from scratch, what would you do differently this time?

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I would have started earlier age.

3. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Done it right. Biz plan, bank loan, the whole nine yards. Didn't know it was going to be a carrer when I started, though. Guess I could still start over.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Nothing.

16 years ago, there wasn't a "Lawnsite" site. No one really to talk to around here about work.

Just trial and error mostly.

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I would not start in this again. There are so many in this now bring down the price of lawn care. Because the cost of running a company keeps goin up from payroll ,tax and insurance it's not worth it.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Expand as fast as I could, and then expand some more. I could have been the only one or two in the state if I had kept expanding putting the new guys out of biz as soon as they popped up.

Mac

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

"ryry" said "im fine the way im in got my new trailer then got rid of my toyota and bought a brand spaking new f-150 herritage going to get the 32 or 36 in mower next year pretty much have everything to start wih the reason why is i live with my parents and thats always a plus!!"

8. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Controlled my growth. I grew to fast and got burned out over labor and profit margins. Also I was too young(19-20) and didn't understsnd the concept of business and money. Now I am part-time solo and much happier and smarter

9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have started a coffee shop!

10. fourseasonlawns

fourseasonlawns LawnSite Member

buy the biggest and best of everything.
    Anything from your weed-eater, edger and blower, to your truck and trailer.
    the only thing biggest doesn't apply to, is your mower. but you better buy the best.
    spend the money now, or spend it later in labor or repairs/replacement.