if you don't collect don't destroy their property

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Sep 18, 2007.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i heard a story this weekend of a larger landscape company around me had a little problem with the law.

story goes....

the a gentleman wanted landscaping. he agreed to the estimate. company did about $6000 worth of landscape, dirt and sod work. they did a final walk through he was satisfied with all the work. he said he didn't have $ to pay and was not going to pay.

not sure what the time frame was but the owner of the landscape company came and destroyed all the work they had done. took a skid loader and put everything on one big pile sod and all.

cops came out. not sure what happened from there. i heard it's not good.

i wander who will get charged???????????

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

the landscaper will get charged w/ destruction of property & trespassing. Once you've left then it's theirs, regardless of payment. You have to get permission to be there.

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Id rather do that than nothing and take my chances with the judge. Then in a civil suite I would tell the judge I would restore the property and then just not do it. Its how the world works.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ok I do agree and it is something I've always said is 'Never use company time and equipment to do harm.' If nothing else the fool is already out of his money and now he done went and dumped MORE labor hours and cost into it... Granted, collections eats up labor hours too but if one does harm then the worst part is his chances of collecting are now absolutely nil, at least with collections I stand a chance, if slim.
    I doubt the cops will do much, and maybe they do but at the very least that's just more time wasted.

But I will say this...
    For years I never had a real urge to do it, a little bit but more like nahhh and whatever.
    Once I got on that Z thou, I had someone said something condescending to me and kept doing that ride-me bit and ended up getting over on me, and it really was all I could do to stop myself from using the big bad mower to tear the crap out of their yard.
    Wasn't even entirely intentional, I was frustrated and I accidentally hit a tree at almost full speed... The tree shock and I hardly felt it, that's when the sheer power of the machine became so obvious and I was still pretty peeved, that's what sparked the light bulb.
    I didn't do it, but that was the first time I ever really felt the urge, and it took a lot of self control.

I also learned, if a customer ever relates a story to me about some past Lco who did it, that means it's most likely time to run.
    Guess it just goes to show, better off running at first light of a problem.

5. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

For that kind of payment due, a lien on the property would have been more satisfying in the long run.

We've all felt like acting out the impulse to get even and destroy. Luckily, most people don't or we would be mere animals.

6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I support what that contractor did, if you roll up grass and don't get paid. Roll it back up and repossess it.

Not sure how that works legally but I don't really care, I've gone over board sometimes to. One time I pulled a mail box almost off a wall, wasn't me.

7. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Like in the movie Fun with Dick & Jane :laugh: that was funny

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have seriously considered turning some of these deadbeat properties over to the county for zoning and licensing violations thou.

I do recall a friend who got into it over some brush clearing, they never did agree on a price (cheapskate on one end and a desperate for work Lco on the other is a recipe and he knew that) but they did agree on a per-load deal.
    The first load was a go, but neither knew how many more it would take.
    So he would call before each load, the customer would agree (or not), that was the deal.
    And sure enough it went 3 or 4 loads all dandy then all of a sudden no pay.
    But the area was all cleared, that was that, just now 'oh no I never intended for all THAT' or some such thing.
    So my friend said ok, I'll just bring it all back.
    The guy was like 'you still got that stuff?'
    Sure do...

Actually it was because he was too tired from working to unload the trailer that night, sheer coincidence :laugh:
    Granted he only still had the last load on there, but he forgot to volunteer that.
    And he got paid.

9. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

This is more proof that the laws protect the criminals more than they protect the honest citizen.

I have my ways of fixing people. I love to make signs and leave them in places that people they work with see them.

I recently had a lawyer here in town stick me for a grand. Coincidentally I am friends with the guy who owns the restaurant across the street. I make a big 4 foot tall by 12 foot long banner that says "Harry Rowland doesn't pay his bills". I then proceeded to park my race car hauler in the restaurant parking lot where the long side faced the law firm and put the banner on the side. His boss called me and asked me what it would take to make it go away and I told him I wanted to be payed in full. Well he "told me he would take care of it" and I could "just go ahead and take the sign away. I said no dice, sign stays until i have check and it clears or he brings me cash.

Took a 2 weeks and 3 times of the law firm calling the cops on me trying it get it moved but I got paid.

I have embarrassed people in stores, and restaurants, but that by far was the most satisfying way to get under someones skin until they paid.

10. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

If that is true, than he needed to use the judicial system, why do you think there are so many lawyers & court's out there, maybe he could have even used one of the bartering systems so he wouldn't be out of the legal fees, anyway you look at it, they BOTH are in the wrong!