1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

If you had it to do over..Which trimmer???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 850-R, Aug 3, 2004.

1. 850-R

850-R LawnSite Member

I am looking for a new trimmer used mostly for weeds and normal landscaping trimming. I also want one that will act as a brushcutter for my own personal use as I have just bought a new piece of property and would like to clear some brush but nothing to thick..got an echo chainsaw for that. I have Stihl, shindiawa,echo, and redmax dealers nearby. I think I would like to go with a bike handle trimmer this time as always in the past I have had loop handles. Any advice is great!!!

Thanks so much!
  2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

If it were me, I would look at the Shindaiwa T270. I have had used Echo in the past, and will not look to them in the future for a trimmer. I have also used some Stihl's in the past, and it seems they are a strong player now, but overall I find the Shindaiwa's to be really well made. If I just did light trimming only I would get a T230/231. I wanted one for everyday trimming, but one that could also hack down some serious brush, and so far the 270 has been outstanding. I personally would not want handle bars if I intended it for everyday trimming, I would opt for those only on a dedicated Brushcutter. If I wanted a dedicated brush cutter I would get a unit with a bigger power head then the 270.

Good luck

3. sthil 4 mix sthil 4 mix sthil 4 mix.......o did i say sthil 4 mix fs110 lol
  4. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I have put a 7 1/4" crosscut blade on a trimmer in the past but plan on only using it for 70-100 hours before it doesn't work any more.
  5. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

stihl. 2 stroke.

i bought a hedge trimmer and use the HELL out of it on brush. That thing is flat amazing.

also have a john deere. been to the dealer twice. i hate it. less then half the power as the stihl.
    barely trims its own line.
  6. kkat

kkat LawnSite Member

I have a shindaiwa t2500 plenty of power, I cant bog it down and it does a heavy load 2 times a week, (a side hill just about a 1/2 acre in area-also a steep slope around a small retaining pond maybe 1/4 acre in size,Its running wide open on these 2 jobs, had to use blade attachment at first but now that it is done almost weekly .95 line does the job just fine
  7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Honda 4 stroke. You'll never regret it. IMO
  8. jeffreyj77

jeffreyj77 LawnSite Member

I have used Stihl in the past, and they are great products. I recently bought a Husqvarna 326RJx, and absolutely love it! It is the lightest trimmer I have ever used. It weighs only 9.9 lbs. I will continue to use Husqvarna, as long as this one continues to hold up.
  9. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

we started with Shindaiwas and would continue to use them if we were still in the mowing biz. Shindaiwa is the only way to go when it comes to trimers
  10. 850-R

850-R LawnSite Member

So from all I have read the shindiawa t270 is a good way to go. Does it come with bicycle handle bars?? Also about what should I expect to spend...