If you had to buy all new equipment.....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Camaross, May 2, 2007.

1. Camaross

Camaross LawnSite Member

what would it be and approximately how much would each item be?

basically wanna get an idea of what to carry and how much to spend.

I know I'll need:

basic hand tools
    ZTR mower
    WB mower
    Edger
    Blower
    ???

2. Primetime-SRQ

Primetime-SRQ LawnSite Member

Now you said new right?

ZTR mower---$7000
    WB mower---$3000
    Edger---$275
    Blower---$400

All of these are rough estimates as you will run into different models/brands and such. But at least you have a ballpark idea to the costs of buying new.

3. Camaross

Camaross LawnSite Member

preferably new, yes...

those prices aren't horrible.

I heard the average lifespan on a ZTR mower is about 3000 hours + or -...any truth to that?

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well the Z would depend on what I was going to use it for. This would influence the size of the deck, and engine choice. If we're talking larger open properties, likely a diesel Z with a 72" deck, not exactly sure on the price of those new, but I'm guessing 11-15K depending on the brand. Otherwise, 6-8K for a decent size deck Z with a good engine.

By WB do you mean a 21" or a ZTR-style walk behind? If 21", 900-1100 bucks, if a commercial WB of 36-48" deck size, the price will be in a pretty big range, 2500-5000+. Price varies a lot here depending on what you get. Belt drive or Hydro(single or dual), deck size, engine choice, electric start or not, floating or fixed deck, control type, electric or manual PTO, etc etc.

Edger - Echo PE-311, gobs of power, around 400 new I think.

Blower - Stihl BR600. Dunno the price, close to 500 bucks I think. You can get a handheld to start off with, maybe 200-275 or so.

I dunno about 3000 hours out of an air-cooled gas motor. Maybe, with real good maintenance and synthetic oil, but I think 2000 is more realistic.

5. Turfinator1

Turfinator1 LawnSite Member

ur in San Diego things are probably going to be more expensive over there then it is here in FL

I got a quote for all new equiptment:

(Hustler) Residential Edition ZRT 54'' $5,000
    (Exmark) W/B 36'' $2,100

The 2 cycles are all Sthil

Trimmer $ 200
    Backpack Blower $300
    Edger $290
    Hedge trimmer $309
    Trailer $1200
    Grand Total of about $10,000

When you go to the dealer check out start up packages, they usually give package deals to guys starting up.

6. Camaross

Camaross LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl chainsaw that is close to 15 years old. I got it from a friend that used to have it on a fire engine at a volunteer dept. Its definately been used hard and still starts up and runs strong everytime.

I am a big fan of stihl products.

7. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, I wish I knew where to get the deals you guys do!! I paid $300 for my fs90r, which I concidered the minimum for a good commercial model. I've also been pricing 36" walk behinds and the cheapest exmark was $2900 for the metro... up to $5000 for the TTHP... Commercial ZTR for $5-6k?? Dealer has used 60" exmarks for $6-7k Heck the entry level 48" CT was $5k....

IMHO...

ZTR - Plan on spending around $8-9K for a HD commecial unit.
    WB - Minimum $3k... $5k if you want a hydro
    Trimmer - $300-400
    Blower - $500+
    Edger - $450+

Trailer - you can get an open 6x12 cheapy for $800... $2500 for an enclosed, 6x16 plan on $2000+.... enclosed $4500

Don't forget insurance, advertising, accounting, lawyer fees, etc...

It's not a cheap business to get into...

8. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

My 737 60" Deere mid-Z new was $7380. Shindaiwa T231, now 242 or something like that, $279.00, Shindaiwa, backpack blower, not sure which one, I got quoted at $380. My old EBZ4800 Red Max just doesn't quite cut it when stuff's wet. Walk behind, I bought both of mine used, 48" Deere belt drive, needed a new oil filter housing seal, $800. Deere 36" belt drive, literally 2 years old, knocked $600 off of a guys bill who had the mower and owed me a bunch of money. I would plan on between $2300, and $5000 on a new hydro walk behind, I've got belt drives cuz they were cheap and i was just getting started, I will never buy another walk behind that is A)pistol grip, B)not a hydro, but that's just my .02.

9. Turfinator1

Turfinator1 LawnSite Member

yeah the one I was looking at was a belt drive. Why dont you like the belt drive?

10. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

There are several reasons. One is that if it is considerably wet, your belts get wet and start to slip, I've had this happen to my Deere's and to a Toro I demoed. Another is that with the hydro, you can turn around so much easier, stick it into a tight spot, back right out, no gear changing required. I've worked for other LCO's and ran hustler, exmark and toro hydros, and demoed a Deere hydro, and at the end of the day, I am much less fatigued than after running my Deere belt drives. Some people really like the belt drive machines, but to me, it is easier to run a hydro, you can turn with a lot less practice and not leave any divets, and you can pick the exact pace you want to mow at, instead of 5 gears, pick the closest and go.