if you had to change one thing...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Oct 4, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

If you have to change one thing that you did from the start of your LCO business, what would it be and why?

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I got tired of lawncare full time, and sold when I was younger. Did it part time before going full again. Just makes me wonder where I would be now. Were still doing well though. :cool:

3. tiedeman

from earth

that is the same thing that happened to me...sold everything and stepped out of the business for 1 1/2 years and then got back into it. Just kind of makes you wonder

4. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm young and haven't been in business long but my biggest regret was buying cheap equipment in the beginning thinking it would do the job.. It's always better to spend alittle more for better quality, and the stuff will last forever..

5. tiedeman

from earth

thats a good point, but you do have to start somewhere I always say. That is why I got out of the business for that 1 1/2 years, I went full force and bought all name brand equipment. Basically to make a long story short, I got in over my head and had to sell everything off and I still ended up in the hole about $3,000.00

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly, I am pretty happy about where I am now and how I've gotten here. I think if I could change anything, it would be higher rates and not taking a lot of smaller yards, maybe tried to go towards bigger lawns earlier on. I've had a lot of pluses and a lot of negative experiences, but the negative stuff makes for good stories years later.

:D

7. tiedeman

from earth

that is true, the negatives you can grow on and make great stories later..even write a book about them :)

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

After getting out of it the first time it took me 5 years to come back to restart my business. That was my first mistake. My second was starting too late this year. I should have started advertising toward the end of Feb. but waited 'til the end of April. Most people hire their lco's by mid to late March. Live and learn.

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Sorry I have to list 2 (forgive me)

1. Know when and where to advertise a particular service. I've learned you have to hit them at just the right time for a certain service you are promoting. Too early, too late....waste of money

2. Be more disciplined about keeping the accounting and other paperwork up to date. (still a challenge for us but we are improving)

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I spend almost $400 a month on advertizing in the yellow pages, keep in mind that the rates are based on amoount of books distributed, so an ad of equal size woould be more in a bigger city, and less in a smaller area. But, I would have started this way of advertising alot sooner than i did. It works like a charm, and will worth it. The price just scared me away at first, but i have never considered not renewing it. And...... If someone can pay you next week, just wait till next week to do their yard.