If you had to choose Echo or Shihl backpack blower which would it be?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tsh1773, Jul 29, 2003.

?

Which backpack blower is better?

1. Echo

42 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. Stihl

23 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. Other

15 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

Which backpack blower it better? Echo or Stihl. I can't afford a very expensive one. I'm looking $300 to $400 range, closer to $300. Anyone have one to sell? The local hardware store has Echo and Stihl both for $299. The salesman says Stihl is better for the money. What do you guys and gals think? And why is one better than the other. Thanks.

2. Chief

Chief LawnSite Member

I would suggest the Stihl SR 420. This unit is a sprayer but with an easy 2 minute change of blower nozzle becomes a blower. This would allow you to spray as well as use it to blow. I have had VERY good service from Stih products.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Have Both The 420m And The 650, the 650 For 100 dollars More Blows The 420m Away.

res755.jpg

4. lightning01svt

lightning01svt LawnSite Member

I personally run all Echo equipment for one main reason. Home Depot is open from 6am till at least 9pm M-Sat. They are also open on Sundays as well! :D Point being, if you need a common part, oil, or just a problem w/the unit they are normally open to deal with you.
    I have not had a chance to use the Stihl product. I am sure it is as dependable as the Echo has been for me, but normally the dealers do not have great ours all the time. Plus you can float cost w/the no payment not interest stuff Home Depot has going on at different times of the year.

5. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

For the money, i'd try to add 100 bucks or so and step up. both make good mid range blowers. Echo does make a more powerfull unit the 650 but if you want the best go with redmax 7001. I have a stihl 420 and love it but it needs more power. If you can afford it go bigger. I do regret buying mine since i could have afforded the redmax.

Back to your question, if it was me i'd get the stihl or save more money for the redmax

Scot

6. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

The Echo 750 has a slight edge over the RedMax & a Huge edge over the Stihl. I've run all 3. Now I go with Echo's for the heavy stuff & Stihls for weekly mow & blows where the eXtra power is not needed.

echo stihl.jpg

7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

John hit it on the head! I have 2, 420's, little over 6 months old. Takes 5 minutes to start the things.
    :mad:

Goin with the 650's this fall. Not gonna put up with the aggrevation come leaf blowin time:D

8. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

go with the shindaiwa 630. i got mine for $400

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We run mostly Echo because of a couple reasons. One, a local dealer carries them, and is good to me with parts and prices. Two, we want to keep most of our hand-held equipment the same, in order to make maintenance easier, and a quicker learning curve for new guys. Learn one piece of equipment, the others are similar.

This is pretty much the same idea as lightnings:
    "I personally run all Echo equipment for one main reason. Home Depot is open from 6am till at least 9pm M-Sat. They are also open on Sundays as well! Point being, if you need a common part, oil, or just a problem w/the unit they are normally open to deal with you."

Don't know if this helps.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Neither! I don't really care for Echo products and from what I've seen in person and read on LS, Stihl's are often hard to start. Shindaiwa is my choice.