If you had to choose.........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.Mow-It-All, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Which one would you choose.

Hustler Hydro trimstar 36", msrp 4700
    wright stander 36" msrp 5100

I know that they are not actualy apples to apples, but let say you are going to use this new mower on one account mainly, but it will be all day (hoa, 54 small homes) and as a backup the rest of the week. At this price range what is 400 more dollars to get what you want. It seems the wright would be easier to use all day because of riding (however if I get the trimstar I would get a sulky), so the other big thing I THINK I would like is that it being 'shorter overall. But I don't about the cut quality compared to the trimstar. I will be mowing about 20% side discharging, and the rest either bagging or mulching, so that would be a factor also.

So which would you choose.

2. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If it's really flat I would choose the Stander. If it's not then the Hustler WB. I tried out some standers and hated them in my area, but, I live and work in the mountains. I can tell you first hand that a stand on unit will not handle slopes very well when it's dry and forget it when it's damp.

3. Green Edge

Green Edge LawnSite Member

The Wright Standers are awesome and I doubt it would be just a backup for long because you will love it, im considering selling my Z master and picking up one of these seeing as how I do mostly residential lawns. But I cant decide because I love my Z master and its already paid for, but with your situation the Wright is the best way to go, why buy a walkbehind and then add a sulky and still not be as manuverable as the much shorter and faster Wright.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Does it have to be a 36"?

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Wright stander, hands down I didn't even need to read the rest of your post.

6. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Yes for 2 major reasons.

1. for gate access (roughly about 30 homes with a fence in the back yard) and

2. because I have a 60" ferris and a 48" walker. This would be a nice compliment to the rest of my equip.

Also kind of concerned with the weight. The main account that I will be using the new mower on is very thick bermuda, but are small yards, so I am afraid I will not be able to change the mowing pattern as often as I should because of the size of the lawns.

How is the cut with the stander???

How well does it muclh and bag, as It will be mostly doing one of these two things?

7. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with the wright stander, better cut. And 54 small lawns would seem to fit it right.

8. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the wright stander too. I used to have one it was fun to use and your knees won't take as bad of a beating as with a velke/sulke.

9. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Although I prefer John Deere Standers myself vs. wright, a stander would be a good asset to have. However, with the 36" wright I would caution you as to the rutting potential. You mentioned you were concerned with weight, so that is why I brought this up. Personally if weight is going to be an issue I would go with a wb. If not a stander is the way to go.

10. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Just read this part. Changing mowing patterns is key to using standers. If this is the case, definitely go with a wb.