If you had to do it over...what would you change or do different

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mike821, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Mike821

Mike821 LawnSite Member

I just have these questions that I ask everyone I know in the business. I just want to get everyone’s prospective and weigh my options before I set things in motion. Your opinions and suggestions are valued and my thanks goes out to all who respond.

What would you change?
    What would you do different?
    How would you have started out to maximize your growth?
    Would you have chosen this profession over all others?

I know the answers to these questions can be quite detailed and lengthily, but I wanted to ask.....you never know what you might get in response.

After all I think the motto of this site is all about benefiting from others experiences.

Thanks all,
    Mike
    :drinkup:

2. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

I would have bought commerical grade equipment the first time, instead of buy cheap crap, then selling it for near to nothing and buying commerical equipment. If you are serious about this business, then don't waste your time with the cheap stuff. You look more proffesional and the equipment will pay for itself.

I'm not a full timer, but let me tell you, there is alot of hard physical work in this business, you better be sure its something you want to do, before you jump in.

Good luck.

3. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree with that statement
    Also I wish I would not have waited so long to step into it

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

What would you change?
    What would you do different?
    How would you have started out to maximize your growth?
    Would you have chosen this profession over all others?

#1 dont understand the Q, charge for what?
    #2 would have NOT bought a 5x10 trailer, would have went bigger.
    #3 couldn't have done anything, gruth went crazy.
    #4 money.

5. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

Bohiaa, the first question is "what would you CHANGE?" I can see why you might be confused, thinking it said "charge". No problem though.

#1 - Hire employees and get more work done.
    #2 - The obvious: buy commercial equipment.
    #3 - Refer back to #1/#2.
    #4 - Most definitely. I like when people on here say they'd rather work for themselves, than work for "the man." I agree with them, too.

6. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

What would I change, the customer profile I had/have. A lot of my work is not so nice lawns with a managment company, nice lawns are usually a little more challenging, but much more rewarding to maintain. What would i do different, I would have went to work for someone else and learned everything I could about sprinklers and lawn apps. before I went full time, but to answer number 3, growth didnt' allow for that. I do this because, a) I enjoy it, b)_I don't think i could deal with working for anyone else anymore, and c) where else do you get to buy all kinds of cool toys, I mean equipment, and big trucks and call them investments?

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

O ...........LOL

yeaaaa, I'm getting older guys, my eyes are going....

what would I change, .........I have lowballed myself many times.

let customers talk me into going lower just to get the bid, when I was just starting out, I needed the work....

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

1) Better truck, newer equipment, thou still used.
    2) Doesn't really make a difference in my book, the learning curve is all the same first time around.
    3) Not sure, if I had the money I might've just opted for slow, nice and easy.
    4) This job is not listed as a profession by the Commonwealth of Virginia, might can consider it a trade, but really it's just a job.
    For myself to consider a profession, that would require a formal education such as what a college provides.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Putting #1 and #2 together, I would have gotten out a few months after starting. That would have been the best move to make. #3 is irrelevant, if I would have gotten out. #4, bad choice to do this work, not a "profession" in my book (Yes, we've already had that discussion, so no need to reopen that can of worms).

10. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Without a doubt, I would have purchased an existing business as opposed to starting from scratch.