if you had to have a "real job"

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Oct 22, 2010.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

stopped today for a cup of coffee at a lady friends house in town and she was watching a documentary on Arlington cemetery, struck me as the ultimate job to be head groundsman.

lots of irrigation to be kept up, a lot of history and a terrible amount of pride involved.

prolly like any other dink job after awhile.

ah, but the pride in craftsmanship

2. Sadly if you do a search there is a scandal at Arlington Cemetery. Poor upkeep, lost misplaced ashes and tombstones. It's like a hospice worker said to me once. First it was a calling. Now its a job.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

not if i was the town marshal, besides i like working at cemeteries, you can really be alone in a crowd there.

i am on the volunteer list at the veterans cemetery close by, the least i can do.

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Prolly sell real estate.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Screw that. Need to meet with people and show houses evenings, Saturdays, Sundays. Hear them gripe about the carpets, drapes, paint not being the right color. Could show 50 homes to a guy and he still might not buy. I couldn't do it.

When my GF was doing commercial real estate, she liked it because it wasn't personal. She could talk about return on investment, lease rates, and why it's a good investment.

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I regret not going into the military when I had the chance. I've always had the ambition to be a fighter pilot. Oh well, the things I would have done differently if I was younger.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

My ideal job would be a reporter, or camera-man, or stat keeper for Major League Baseball or one of the teams.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

drum major

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Personally I'd like to be a Strip Club owner or to be more politically correct, the proprietor of a vertical envelopment clothing optional dance studio encouraging spectator appreciation expressed in the form of cash donations.

Or more realistically I am probably returning the the academic industry first as an adjunct while I complete at least my Masters in Agronomy then decide about a pHD.

I heard a line from Robert Duvall in the movie Open Range, "a Man can stay dry in the winter and cool in the summer" - that's for me.