if you had.........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Angelo585, May 6, 2011.

1. Angelo585

Angelo585 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I was posed this question by a colleague, "If you had $100,000.00 to spend on your business (either new or existing) how would you spend it?" the one catch to the question was that you had to keep $40k as a back up....

Just curious to see what others think....

If I was just starting out, I would spend $30k on new equipment and bank the rest for unexpected or operating expenses.

As an existing company, I would replace old equipment and add to my current inventory using about $35k -$40k and bank the rest for unforeseen expenses.

This is purely hypothetical and just to see others ideas not to create an argument or debate....

2. personally with $100 k, I wouldn't be investing in lawn equipment it would be in some better investments.

3. Angelo585

I get that, but that is not the question.... we are all here because this is the business we are in and what we have chosen to be in; so again the question would be if you had 100k to invest in your business, how would you invest it? keeping at least 40k for reserve.

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I personally have through out the years allready spent close to 100k on my business for equipment and vehicles, and so on. so id say i would spend it the same exact way i allready have.

5. WorldsStrongestLandscaper

WorldsStrongestLandscaper LawnSite Member

Sell old equip and upgrade! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I would upgrade all my equiptment probably 20K or so advertising 20K or so and bank the rest.

7. Angelo585

a group of friends and I had this discussion over drinks and I found it interesting to hear the variety of responses, especially that the group consisted of 3 in the landscape business, 1 paint contractor and 2 construction contractors (1 roadway and 1 home improvement). One of the 3 landscapers was a new guy just starting out in the business, but the variety of responses was interesting and sparked some interesting discussion.

8. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Ah one of those "If I won the lottery questions" Feels good until you come back to reality LOL

9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

an around the world vacation.

10. Angelo585

Well, kind of, what sparked the conversation is the new guy is getting an inheritance of close to that amount and was talking about his plans for the money, the 40k reserve was a restriction his wife put on the money.

His current equipment is all used and barely functioning most of the time and he is gung-ho to go buy all new stuff. He currently services about 25 accounts and we were discussing if it was wise to blow the money on equipment he will hopefully grow into one day or buy for what his size is now....