If you love lawncare, how did it start?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Remsen1, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My love for lawncare began when I used to help my father maintain the grounds for our church. It was approximately 5 acres and would take us the better half of a day. He used to pull me behind the church's John Deere 110 in my radio flyer, till I was 6, then I wanted to drive. I'd sit up on his lap and he would help me make straight lines. After not too much longer, I was doing it by myself. I used to get really ticked off if he would ever go to do the lawn by himself, cause I wanted to be with him and drive the tractor.

I can remember, cold Pepsi's (not a big thing now, but it was back then), trips to the gas station and the parts store. I'll always remember working on the mower and all the new words I learned too :)

The best part was that I got to have my dad all to myself.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I got started back before I was a teenager. If I had kept with the natural iclination to mow grass I would be a millionaire by now. I took a 30 year break.

Oh, and a ice cold Pepsi is still a big deal to me. Back in the day I prefered Pepsi in the bottle but ever since they did away with glass it's been in the can for me. I don't like the way plastic makes Pepsi taste.

3. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Remsen1,

I really enjoyed that post. Sounds like you were raised in a nice, church-going family, just like I was, and we need to count our blessings for that.

I'm not in the lawncare business (I'm in the software business), but I really like lawncare, and it didn't start until I got my own house. I love the idea of being able to throw frisbee in a serene backyard that looks like a well-maintained park.

4. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

Here's how my first job came to be:

It was during the morning announcements that they mentioned something about a job in the guidance office. I went down to get the name and number. When I got home, it took me about 2 days to convince my parents that I would be good at doing this.

It's all taken off from there. I just love doing this stuff because you can see a difference when you're done with a job.

Zach

5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I was about 8 years old, and used to watch the guy cut the lawn across the street from me with a Locke. I though, it would be awesome to run equipment like that. At age 12, my dad offered to pay 1/2 for either a go-kart, or a tractor. I chose the Tractor, a wheelhorse 211-5. I know no one 'aspires' to mow lawns, but I pride myself on my knowledge and education. 20 years later, I now give my 2 sons wagon rides on that same tractor.

6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

yeah i used to mow my lawn on while sitting on the lap of my dad and steer. I love dit, bought a lawnboy when I was in 5th grade and mowed my grandmothers yard for 3 years, 20 dollars a cut.

To this day I still TOTALLY LOVE TO CUT GRASS

hope I can make a good living in the green industry after school

7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

It all started for me watchin my dad cut our back yard at our old house i think i was maybe 5 or so but any how even when i was in school i used to do it on my days off and the week ends
    and in HS my friends would ask me waht i was going to do over the weekend and i'd shoot back i gotta work
    and they thought i was nuts but i love it and wouldn't trade this life for the world

8. discrete1

discrete1 LawnSite Member
    from NC

i remember as a kid every saturday morning my dad would wake me up to help him mow the yard. he would get on the riding mower and everything he could not get, i had to push it. afterwards we would get some lunch and just hang out together.

9. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Ever since my dad put the mower in my hands I have loved to cut grass many people think Im crazy but there is nothing better then hopping on my deere and cutting

10. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

My hatred of people.

Just kidding...
    My favorite thing is to be out in the sun and dirt working ALONE or with a friend.