1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

If you make your own flyers, what program do you use?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MacLawnCo, Sep 27, 2002.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going to be sending out monthly flyers to about 3000 homeowners this upcoming year. I want to make my own so I can have control over what goes into and how it comes out. (I recently got screwed by a graphic designer) My question is this: for those who do their own flyers, what program do you use. Cost is no hindrence in this arena. I want a great program to produce great results. What do you recomend. Thanks. :waving:
  2. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Photo Shop 7, but I would like to recommend purchasing a bible on how to use effectively.. burned copy is the only way to go.
  3. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

The "better" the program the better you need to be at operating it, or you won't get the benefits of a greater program. Adobe Pagemaker and Quark Express are the industry standards for page layout. Can't go wrong with either one. Might run you in excess of $700 though - not sure because I haven't checked new prices recently. Upgrade for Quark 5.0 from 4.0 was $275.

You might check the pricing at a college bookstore - it's much less expensive to buy the educational version (almost identical to the the professional version) which will run sometimes 30% off of other versions.
  4. turfmarketing

turfmarketing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

It all depends on how you are going to reproduce your flyers. If you are going to have them commercially printed, the best choices are Quark Xpress 5.0 or Adobe InDesign 2.0. Both are true professional-grade applications that have a learning curve and price tag to match. $500+ . Also, if you are going to have the material commercially printed, you will want to check with your printer BEFORE you begin any work. He may only what Macintosh files and if you were going to create it on a PC, there may be some compatibility issues. The last consideration is font types used. Commercial printers only want Postscript fonts. Most Windows users use Truetype fonts.

If on the other hand, you were going to reproduce them on your desktop printer, or have them output on a digital copier, Adobe PageMaker or Microsoft Publisher maybe better. They are less expensive and much easier to learn. With PageMaker (which used to be Adobe's professional-grade application before InDesign) you still have a pretty good chance that a printer will accept the files if needed. With Publisher, which is easier to use, you may to search a little bit more to find a printer.

My recommendation for most non-professional designers, is to go with Microsoft Publisher or maybe PageMaker. They both offer the ability to do anything anybody could ask for and probably about 90% more than most non-professionals would ever use.

Good Luck
  5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

6. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

I like Microsoft Publisher.... Haven't had any problems ...

:blob2: :blob2:
  7. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

If $$ is no object, LawnLad's got it.

If you really want to be able to tinker with images themselves before you put them into some page layout, get Photoshop, too.
  8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys for the replies.

I will look into Quark Express and Adobe Pagemaker. I have quite a bit of free time as of now, and expect it to increase as the season ends. I am planning to learn these programs this winter and hopefully have the flyers read for print prior to Feb. I appreciate the help, and will show yall the results in a few months. I bet you can hardly wait. :) :)
  9. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Adobe Illustrator 9 or 10 works well. Learning curve on Quark and Adobe products is steep. Publisher is pretty decent.

Good Luck.

10. MS Publisher, and MS Word.

Once you have mastered their capabilities, boundries, and powers you can make some good stuff.