1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

If you need a Web site, check out Yahoo local

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by topsites, Feb 8, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I spent an hour on this, and it's a pos but it just saved me weeks of frustration dealing with this mess. I've been dreading creating my lawn care site because even thou I know how to do it, it also happens to be a major pita.

Of course Yahoo still has to approve it and I may end up having to pay to get an enhanced listing, but it was worth it. Likely, once I can get some decent editing going along with some pics, I'll order a domain and go from there but that's all down the road - What I have is, technically, all I need for now.

Just enters the info, and blam, there it is.
    It's a bit lacking on pics, but oh well:

You can get started here:
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

a company website with ad's from yahoo... i hope you're not paying for that.
  3. topsites

No that was the free thing... Templates are not enough, I need something a little bit better than that to get me started.
    And for that, Yahoo RULED !!!

The domain hasn't been ordered and the code isn't validated yet... There are no functional errors I could see but the code is far from perfect. The load times are so-so, main page at 13 seconds with a 28.8kbps, a bit hitchy on a cablemodem... also the estimate form doesn't work because the cgi-bin mailer isn't configured yet, but it would send estimates via e-mail once I get the dns changes through.

In short, a lot is left to be desired and it doesn't do me justice yet, but 4 hours later I had this:

Time to go order the domain, see where I can find one for under 5 bucks / year, be a few more days now.
  4. topsites

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Iv got 2 domain names but no web site. Iv got no clue where to start
  6. topsites

I got it lol !

All except the estimates page, I couldn't tweak a work-around the email form, there are too many conflicts between inline and block elements...
    So, one error remains for the site, so be it.

It would be kinda cool to be able to disable the stupid buttons instead of unlinking the teal colored ones but I'm not scripting it out, there has to be a toggle inside the input tag. I just can't find it.