If you only had 3 mowers, what sizes would they be and why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmc456, Mar 13, 2005.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Here are my thoughts.

First, I would start out with a 48" ZTR mower 80% of my residential work. Leaves nice stripes and gets into most new homes that have gated back yards.

2nd, I would get a 33"-36" for a trim mower and small gated back yards.

Thirds, I would get a 72" ZTR for wide open acreage.

My screw is normally 2 people. On small properties, 1 trimming and blowing and the other on the 48" cutting. Take about 10 minutes. On larger 1 acre+, 1st guy goes on 72" and cuts the back while the 2nd trims and then starts with the 48" in front and then helps out where ever. When done, both blow.

Actually, I don't have the 72" yet. I sold my 52" Stander this past fall in order to get a 60 or 72 this spring. I'm still desciding to get a 60 or 72 mower. I think a 60 is pretty close to my 48 in size so why not get the 72.
  2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have 3 mowers, and they work out perfect. I can mow everything from 10,000 sq. ft. yards, a cemetary (between the stones and all) to 21 acre properies(3 hrs.)

1. 595 JD - 9 1/2 foot articulating deck (3 sections)
    2. eXmark viking - 54" articulating deck (2 sections)
    3. 455 JD - 6 1/2 foot articulating deck (2 sections)
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A 52, 61, and 72
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

21" trim mower
    36" for gates
    60" mower for the huge majority of lawns
  5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

6. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i would have preferred bigger than a 52 but trailer limits any thing bigger
  7. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

right now it's 21'' and 52'' z , but I think that the next would be a 60'' because I really don't have the need to do "trim mowing" and I'd rather have a lawn that I can do with a 52'' or 60'' than have to do the whole back yard (if it had a gate) with a 36" but I would consider that new hustler 32" 48" mower? it folda and then you have a 48" but can still fit through gates!
  8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

actually since I own a walker, I have 4 decks altho I own 2 mowers. Walker with 52 side, 42 side, 48 bag, Huslter WB with 54. My ultimate setup, I think will be to get the new MTL Walker, with increased horsepower and groundspeed, with a 72, then I would have 2 Walkers and 1 Hustler with possiblilities of 42, 52, 48 bag, 72, and 54 WB! The decks on a walker change out in minutes!
  9. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Heck, I may just get a complete Walker Deck collection (when I get rich)
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

36" stander Only problem is I can't find one that has a floating or easily adjustable deck that also has good mechanical parts and a decent dealer near me.

52" Stander or Rider. Greatly prefer a stander here. Much more agile. Works great on the 1/4 acre stuff and would work as a back up to the bigger mower without too much additional time spent.

60" ZTR. Plenty of size for most anything I do and can still make it on the 1/4 acre stuff.

Not a 21" because I can weedeat almost as fast and I have very little trim work to do and they only cut up to 4" and that is too low for St Augustine here.