if you raise them all $1.50?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 12, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my bills are due to go out on the 15th. there will be a long letter adressing issues like picking up limbs, moving lawn furniture, etc. i was thinking also, increasing everyones fee by $1.50 a week. this will give me a raise of over $100 a week, but i doubt the buck and a half will scare anyone off. even if i did lose a couple customers, i'd still make more $$$ at the end of the week. how do you think a mid season $1.50 increase will go over?

2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I think it should go quite well, especially when coupled with the letter.

Seriously, I don't think a mid-season price hike will go over well. I'm guessing that's about a 5% increase. For every one customer you lose, you will need to keep 20 just to break even. I'd rather raise the price at the beginning of next season and keep them all.

3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Temps are just right for customers to realize the value of our service here 90 degree HOT HAZY HUMID. I raised 1/2 at the start of the season and now is the time for the second 1/2 to get raised. The second wave of new customers who can't take the heat will ask for a price to mow their yard. They have been thinking about it for awhile and are prime for a jumbo price!!

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How did you come up with $1.50 bg?

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

well, i wanted a raise. i figured a reasonable raise for getting burnt to death out in the sizzling sun, and having my customers lawns looking better than the competition, is $100 a week. i think being self employed, i should be able to make a decision on how much i want to make. unlike most here, i don't associate making more money, with working more hours. i try to make more money within that same "8" hour work day. these 8 hr days are killing me, i been so busy, i havn't even started the boat yet

6. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

BG, Why would you raise your prices just because you are hot. Now it sounds like to us that your problem is now your customer’s problem. Not a very good business strategy. What is in return for you customer when you raise your price? sure they may not think $1.50 is much but I’m sure there going to ask why and you better have a real good excuse instead of you telling them your hot and you have to move some stuff of the lawn. Welcome to world of a landscaper… :angry:

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Im raising mine this month. I know you have contracts so it may not go over so well, but I dont, and I think it makes more sence to raise them now than in jan or feb. Who will cancel now? They would have to do it themselves or hire someone else, who will hopefully be busy and expensive in mid summer.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

WHY DO I HAVE TO JUSTIFY A RAISE? i don't need to say anything more than, " it's something that needed to be done, running a business in this state is extremely expensive." that's all, that's it, nothing more. a price increase doesn't need to be explained

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Heck yeah! Stick it to em'!! Now is a good time to raise a $1.50 per lawn.. If they quit, THEY FRY IN THE HEAT!! I see what you're getting at, if you jack the price at the beggining of the season, they can go price shopping.. Now, you kinda got em' by the scrum. :cool:

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

no tx, not "stick it to em". it's business. we are in drought conditions here. as i look at my customers lawns, that i fertilize and cut, and look at the competitions lawns, mine look nice, where thiers are showing signs of stress already. do my qualifications justify an increase in salary? i think so.