1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

If you run a 3 man mowing crew, post here.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Jul 28, 2004.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'm just trying to get an idea of how many members here run a 3 man mowing crew.

Not really looking for a debate about 3 man vs. 2 man vs. solo, etc.

I just see a lot of 3 man mowing crews locally and wanted to see how many on here do this.

Maybe give the "why's" for running a 3 man crew.
    Maybe tell your likes or dislikes with running it this way.

The two main advantages I could see would be:

1. If one person calls out sick or more importantly, quits without notice.
    You would still have some help until you got another person on board.

2. The owner could do JUST the mowing (with larger mower) and leave all the trimming, edging, blowing and any push mowing in small areas to the helpers.

So lets hear from you guys.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

3 people for the larger props on thursdays and fridays.

1-6 acre properties with 2 mowers running one guy trimming,all three trim and blow at times.
  3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

we think a like, mainly thursdays and fridays...
  4. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Yup,bigger upscale properties that need a lot of attention.
    It seems to work well for those,the others are 2 man.
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I run a 3 man mowing crew. On properties with alot of trimming I have one guy on the rider and 2 guys trimming/using the blower. Properties with less trimming I have one guy on the DC and one guy using the walkbehind. Works well for the most part exept for when the grass dries out in the summer....then a 3 man crew becomes a little too much and one guy ends up stranding around at times.
  6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Good point, A walk behind gets used at times as well while the 2 ztr's are running. Not often but there are 3 or 4.
  7. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

One advantage I think, is that it doesnt beat the workers up as much. I 've been part of a two man crew and when you start getting past 20 accounts for the day, fatigue starts to set in. With a three man crew its more enjoyable to work knowing you can alternate different tasks every few lawns or so, and 30 or so lawns a day still get done. It also give the employees that greater team effort feeling as opposed to seeing and talking to the same guy day in and day out. Retention of properly trained veteran employees is our #1 priority. Also, our acre plus accounts we do on Fridays get a special treat!! 4 man crew.
  8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to run 2 man crew, then we got more large jobs and went to a 3 man crew. Now we are a 5 man crew. We do mainly large commercial accounts.
  9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I run a 4 man crew (counting me) Close enough? And for both reasons you stated.
  10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I always run a three man crew regardless of the size of properties. It is very effective when there is a back yard requireing a smaller mower which I have alot of. It is good with a big fast rider, I can keep a guy on the edger, and one on the trimmer plenty busy just mowing myself. I also have 3 blowers ready if guys finish about the same time. I also like to mow, and leave the guys to finish blowing while I go start another lawn close by. For me, it saves my body alot of labor, allows me to finish my mowing week in four days instead of closer too five, which saves me payroll on one guy, and makes it possible to fill in the fifth day with work that would more then compensate for the extra payroll on the third guy.

If you can keep busy three guys rules. If you don't have enough lawns, or side work to fill in the free time, then two guys makes the most sense.