If you were building a wash rig from scratch..

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by autumnleaf, Dec 27, 2010.

1. autumnleaf

autumnleaf LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a pretty long piece, trying to glean as much knowledge as possible. I've decided to invest some snow money into a wash trailer and offer home washing as an add on. Mostly because I like to fit into niche markets and not deal with every idiot with an S-10 driving down prices.

I already have a customer base to draw on and a marketing plan for this part of the business, and plan on doing a few friends houses first to get a feel for pricing.

I plan on building a dedicated trailer from scratch. I am kicking around a few engine options, minimum 13 hp, max 50 hp. Pump wise, I know I need something like 6+ GPM to get the best performance. Still doing my homework on the pump I want.

I have a 200g transfer tank to use a buffer/remote location tank.

So...my questions:

If you were setting up a trailer, what would be some little details to make life easier? I am very picky about having everything look professional, and everything having a place on the trailer.

Is there a good place to look for used pumps? I want to do this right, but don't want to have 5 grand wrapped up in this thing.

Would you bother having a dedicated high pressure washer on the trailer to use on concrete or is that redundant? I only ask because I already have a 3000 psi washer that I use on equipment, my shop floor, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help and all of the information you guys have already shared on this site!

2. Mountain Gardener

Mountain Gardener LawnSite Member

Hi Autumnleaf,

Iv'e been around this business since 1984. Never even thought about fabing my own washer. Too easy to buy new or GOOD USED with less problems. My washer is mounted on a 14' HD trailer with a 360gal tank, 2 65gal chem tanks, a large tool box, 2 hose reels, and a roof cleaning setup. $5000.00 would not touch my setup with all the goodies but all I have to do is start it and work.

My washer is a 5gal 3000PSI 120volt hot water unit. 16 HP Vanguard that I have always used Mobile1 oil in.

About the only high pressure washing we do is concrete with a surface cleaner, and heavy equipment. Our main business is "No Pressure-No Damage" roof cleaning and softwashing houses.

Call Bob @ PressureTek 1-866-700-0044. www.pressuretek.com

Hope this helps

3. autumnleaf

I already have a suitable trailer to mount everything to, as well as the tank and engine. I really just need the pump to beltdrive and hose, reels, tips and valves.

4. FCPWLLC

FCPWLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Like he said, call Bob at http://www.pressuretek.com

He is in Cleveland and can get you all the stuff you need.

5. Cajun Cleanin'

Cajun Cleanin' LawnSite Member

I use Bob also he's good.

6. autumnleaf

Thanks for the input guys, I'm looking forward to this. Have gotten a lot of good response from my current customers.

7. JCinNJ

JCinNJ LawnSite Member

+1 on calling Bob. Great guy and the best service you can ask for in any business