Lawn Care Forum banner

If you were building your own custom trailer....

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  FrankenScagMachines 
#1 ·
...Like I am! how would you design it and what features would it have?

Mine's gonna be 7.5' wide x 20' long. Tandem axles with brakes, 8 ply tires, 7' wide by 5' long rear gate with a spring on it. 60" wide 4' long side gate. debris box on front and storage box on front to store tools and stuff in. Gas can storage, trimmer racks, custom holder to hold the vac bagger on the Ferris when not in use, solid oak floor and 16" oak stake sides (removable sections). Should have a cooler rack too and hand tool racks. Oh but it's gonna be sweet! It'll have room to hold everything on it, all self contained nothing should need to overflow into the truck!

Here's what i'm starting out with. Paid $115 for this frame, axles, brakes, wheels, tires (including spare), coupler and jack. Should not have more than $850 in it when done, possibly less.

So give me some more ideas and comments and suggestions!

Plant Wheel Tire Property Vehicle

See less See more
#6 ·
BS, yeah i was planning on it. Don't remember but i think i mentioned a cabinet/chest storage area. This would be lockable and yes room for tools, supplies, and room to lock up handheld equipment. It should have room for blowers, trimmers, edgers, etc (though that may be packin it tight) so i can put them in there at night to keep them out of the weather too.

Pro- I actually think I'll keep one of those camping toilets in the debris box or in the tool/storage place for when ya gotta go. I was going to do most of the work this weekend but the wood will not be cut till next week so it maybe a couple weeks or so. I got all the lights and wiring stuff i need tonight. Ordered fenders this morning. Am getting a price quote on the steel. I drove around town with it some tonight after mowin to see how painful it is, it fits everywhere i need to go and i can navigate tight turns with it pretty well if i can swing out alittle and cut tight it follows the truck pretty well actually... Now i'm even thinking just leave it 22' long but i'm not sure if that'd be too big. There's one spot on the frame where water must have dripped on it alot becuase it's rusted a small hole in the box frame and rusted pretty bad around it. i was gonna cut that section out when i cut it down, but if i leave it 22' then i will just brace that section i guess.

Now i still have that huge problem of getting in and out of my driveway. I live on a busy highway and my driveway is no peice of cake with the 12' trailer, much less a 20 or 22'. With the 12' one, i pull in and then back up and around into the circle loop then have to pull foward and back up again to get backed up near the garage (driveway is straight from road to garage with a circle off on one side). But the big trailer i will have to back into or out of the driveway. I can pull off by my mailbox and wait for a break in traffic then pull foward and back in, but thats still not the safest way to do it. I could pull in then back out but i can't see when traffic is clear... hmm.. well...

Greasy-Gun, well, I thought of that but i don't really have need for such a thing. If i later on need one i'll add it.

Ya since driving a 22' isn't a big problem, i might just leave it that long for ease of building (not chopping and moving frame) and more space.... hmm.... i'll be thinkin of this.

Thanks guys and keep the ideas coming!

#8 ·
Originally posted by pushmower
If I was you I would put a nice floor with a pole in the middle.
Using solid oak hardwood planks for the floor- can't get much better. what do you mean about a pole in the middle? i am curious on that.

I think i've just settled to stay at 22' like it is now LOL ... it's not that hard to maneuver and navigate and 2' won't make much difference on maneuvering it so i think i'll just leave it. 2' can make a world of difference on deck size. plus it leaves more room for debris box and storage chest/cabinet.

#9 ·
eric, yah, you did mention the box in your original post. i guess i forgetted how 2 read when i first read this post :)

edit, and in regards to backing in the trailer on the busy road.... you've got a F350 + large trailer. use it the way its supposed to be used... for traffic detail! most of the people will stop for you when you cut across the road with your hazards on to back into your drive, if not. screw 'em

#12 ·
oh, except the top door on the debris hopper will open the other direction, becuase at 4' tall from the trailer deck I won't be able to dump from the side of the trailer well (trailer is 20" off of ground) so i'll need to step up the side gate to dump... or i may make the box only 3' high, then i could dump in it from the side of the trailer (without lower side gate). Yes 3' it may be... I would maybe lower the storage area to 3' also, to decrease air resistance. At 4' tall, it's a very large storage area. At 3' tall I would probably go with 1' tall lower section and 2' tall upper section.

At 7.5' wide and 3' long and 3' tall, the debris hopper still holds a whopping 2.5 cubic yards. thats quite a bit really!

On the trailer tongue area I probably will just make a platform to stand on to allow easier access to the upper storage compartment.

Man I'm so looking foward to this! it's my dream trailer, except not enclosed! LOL... Open gives alot of versatility though (material hauling and less air resistance for example).

#13 ·
Oh, BS, about backing up- I'm gonna put a couple auxillary flood lights on back that can be turned on when backing up. Also i have a couple yellow rotator lights i COULD put near the back of the trailer and turn on when backing up (they're not that visible in daytime though but i'll be coming in close to dark some especially this part of season) but that may look kinda dumb. I thought also about those backup alarms, they're only $10 or so at a parts store. Opinions on the yellow lights would be appreciated! I think strobes would be alot better, built into the taillights, yeah! nah gotta stay in budget and we're pushing it already. May not be getting some toys i wanted for leaf removal due to this trailer.

Total price of the trailer for purchase and all stuff necessary to build it, should be around $850 or so. Not bad for what i'm getting!

#15 ·
Eric, one thing I would do is make EVERY single light on the trailer LED... Last a Loooong time, very bright, and Just look trick..LOL

I would do everything to avoid contact with a statey (trooper).. and lights not being burt out helps.

#18 ·
tx, i really wanted LED's, but they're really expensive in comparison to regular lights and right now, i gotta keep cost down as much as possible... having the frame sandblasted tomorrow. The steel is running me around $300-350, which I thought it might be about $200, so thats a big extra expense. The lumber is going to be a bit more than i originally thought also. I got a light kit at advance auto parts that has the combo lights with extra wide rear marker lights that stick out of the regular light box (they have turn signals on them for people beside you), license plate frame and light, and two amber marker lights for up front. I'm going to add two utility lights for night work or backing up and probably add a backup alarm for safety's sake. I think when i'm done with all wiring and lights and stuff i'll have spent around $100 on that. This is getting expensive fast! but still less than half price of similarly equipped rig new. oh, also i have an electric actuator motor that i'm thinking about mounting on the tongue jack.

greasy-gun, already got it! trailer came with spare tire and swing-away mount. i'll probably mount it under the tongue.

Dusty- probably red. Red is just one of my colors... most of my equipment is red, all 3 of my garden tractors happen to be red, it's one of my favorite colors, lol. I want the rig to match as much as possible, and having the trailer the same color as equipment is a step in the right direction. it's more noticable than black anyway and doesn't look as drab and dull.

Also i'll have a special rack/holder built to hold the vac bagger hood and bag holder device when not in use. It will hold it just like the mower does, so it won't go flying around the trailer when i'm not bagging (thats a big problem now, as the unit is so heavy and awkward that there is no good way to store or transport the thing). I'm so excited about this!!!

updated floor plan:

Product Rectangle Slope Font Line

#19 ·
7.5' x 22' are u sure it's a lawn service trailer? Are u using as a sodding service ? How are you gonna park that trailer in residential and subdivision? It probably block driveway of other homeowner, let alone a parking and storage space.

#20 ·
MTR, just for lawn maintenance and the like. It will have lots of room! I then have a 8'x12' flatbed truck freed up to use. This means, I can haul 4 yards of mulch on the truck and haul all my mowing equipment plus have room to dump a day's worth or more of grass clippings, on the trailer!
Just measured it, 47' overall length truck & trailer. I drove to my tightest places with it the other day, it fits there (I park on the road at all but one place, there i think i can just pull in and back out, i didn't try that place yet but i'll work).

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

#21 ·
Frankenscag! I love that Ford! It has magic in it, the older the more alluring! It seems to be a very very nice setup, great work. I can not use any trailer longer than 10' cause it won't fit my garage, besides I have a 16' boat too.

#22 ·
LOL thanks. no one ever said that before! It's a great work truck, i love it for mulching and anything hauling. It's very good for towing too, with a 7.5 liter. Only thing, it's a bit hard on gas. about 6.5-7 mpg in town with trailer and 8-9 on highway w/ or w/o trailer.

#24 ·
The custom trailer that I am having built right now is a combination enclosed and open trailer. It is 18' long, 14,000# gvwr tandem axle flatbedd made of 5" channel. The front 6' is an enclosed trailer with a side ramp and the back 12' is an open trailer with 3' removeable sides and a 4' removeable gate.

This fits my needs as a solo-op very well. One trailer to keep equipment and small machinery safe and secure while also allowing a space for me to haul mulch and other bulks. I should get the trailer in three weeks --- I am looking forward to it.

#26 ·
Hamons, sounds pretty nice. Yes, my trailer is built to fit my needs too. It's gonna be a great feeling eh? We can be excited about our trailers together!! LOL.

LwnmrMan- ya i got a breakaway switch already too. The front 6' will be taken for tool storage and debris box, so it's really only got 16' for equipment. It will be pretty full :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.