If you were going to buy a Z what kind would it be??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jarred's Lawn Care, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Jarred's Lawn Care

Jarred's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Thinking about buying a new 50" or so Z, looking at exmark, hustler, lesco, toro, and dixie chopper. Any ideas on what would be better for residentail and commercial jobs, some z's are great for only one, but let me know what you think, which one should i lean to and why???:dizzy:
  2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

The Hustler Super Z is about as good as they get, I demoed a 60'' deck model, many here own these and say only great things about them.

I will be most likely purchasing the new Toro 588E, check out the features on their site, they cut no better than hustler, main choice is because of the advanced deck and local dealer.

Both are good for large lawns to acreage, commercial and residential, their cut is plenty good enough. Both are nimble.

Best to demo several to see the differences.

good luck!

3. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Demo if you can.........I have a HUSTLER SUPER-Z and it is a GREAT mower. I will get another one.
  4. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Im hopeing to start leasing a Toro 500 Z, as I demoed a exmark and Hustler and liked the Toro the best so I guess we will see what happens at the end of Feb.
  5. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

There are two brands on your list that I wouldn't consider for our local conditions - but my conditions are different than yours, so what I or anyone else says about these machines needs to be seen in that light.

While you are shopping mowers, you really also need to be shopping the local dealers. What I mean is that service departments and their attitudes toward commercial lawn co. are going to be more important to you in the long run than the very slight differences in mowers will be.

If you have a local dealer that has an outstanding reputation for quick and reasonably priced service, give whatever brands they sell extra consideration to buy.- because that will be a bigger issue to you over the next several years than the very marginal differences in mower brands.
  6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Hustler gets my vote. Exmark second.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Get a WB.

They go places a Z can't, you will have less trimming to do, they are less expensive, and they are more turf friendly as well.
  8. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Jarred, I'm with Sam. It's more about the dealer than the machine. You are looking at all good commercial mowers. Big sellers. Now who will take care of you best? I own Toro, have a Toro mid size dealer that will do anything he can to help us out. He handles our other equipment problems for us. ( Trimmers, Saws, and Blowers) One stop, time is money.
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Check BAD BOY
  10. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Try the Hustler Z 60". Great mower and very versatile.