If you were me???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cuttingmaniac22, Jan 18, 2006.

1. cuttingmaniac22

cuttingmaniac22 LawnSite Member

This is my third year in lawncare and am starting to get bigger. I mostly do residential but i am going to be doing a big commercial lawn this year. Right now i am only using a 42' deck size and a 21' push. I wanted to get an exmark because i have heard nothing but good things about them and was lucky enough to drive one and loved it. I have about 6 residential lawns ranging from 1 hour to 3 hours with a 42. What would u recommend upgrading to???All your help would be great. It has to be under 10 grand. Thanks again!P.S. If i did this commercial lawn with a 42 it would take a good 6 hours!

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

well, all I can say is do a search because this has been brought up so many times on LS. don't forget to look at the cub TANKS and LESCO. Great mower and less money. They do just as well as any other mower. It all comes down to what's best for you. I would say Demo Demo Demo.:waving:

Let us know what you get and give us some pic's.

3. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with a 52" to 60" deck. Exmark, Toro, Scag are all great mowers. I am a Scag lover so I would recommend them, but I really like the Exmark brand. Do not forget to look for lightly used ztrs that are a couple grand less then new. That could save you money if you wanted to. I agree that you should demo, demo, demo. Good Luck!

4. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

48in the new exmark deck size has changed a little so i hear...its good for both small and large lawns...or a 52....

5. justinslawncare

justinslawncare LawnSite Member

try a 60" zero turn. i went from 48 to 60 two years ago and its the best thing i have ever done. it gets the jobs done quicker and once u get use to the difference in the steering its nice to drive.

6. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I have a 60" lazer z, and have saved countless hours using it. at first I used it only on the biggest lawns, but now use it about 90% of the time. after you get the feel for the controls, and stop tearing turf on the turns, it is great. I had a 52" wb before, and cut a 5 acre condo dev in about 3 hours...now it takes me 1hr 15 minutes to do the same dev...without the bagger it was around 9000.