If you were to get out of the business...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Oct 25, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

If you were to get out of ALL aspects of this business and focus on just one what would it be? It's a question I seriously have been asking myself this year. With the lack of decent employee's, the growing expense of fuel and equipment, insurances, and trying to compete with guys who do this for weekend beer money, I ask myself more now than ever before is it worth it vs. just focusing on one aspect where I can do 99.9% of everything myself without killing myself mentally or physically. Mine would be hydro-seeding I think. Buy one tank large enough to do 10-15k sqt ft lawn without re-filling. Basically you have the tank as your overhead and thats it, besides materials.

2. TheYardButler

TheYardButler LawnSite Member

I am sure that hydroseeding would be a fun and high return for the jobs you do. Also remember that hydroseeding isn't really a year round business.

If you were looking to do most of the work yourself I would suggest fertilizer and weed control be the one single part of the business you focus on. This allows year round sustainability and provides a pretty decent return on investment.

The Yard Butler
    www.callyardbutler.com

3. nobagger

from Pa

Well there definetely is more time to fert around here but you can typicaly hydro seed from May til' October in my neck of the woods. And IMO, there is more $$$$ in hydro seeding then fert. We have TGCL and "Perf-A-Lawn" to compete with and they are fertilizing lawns for 25-35 bucks a pop. You could hydro seed a lawn and make 1500-3500.00 in one shot. Even if you only do 4 lawns a month and average 2000.00 an install thats 8k and probably 1/3 of the time vs. mowing.

4. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Smaller scale build and design work which would include pantings and ponds.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

"personal gardener" spend 1 day a week or more at a variety of houses, not mow blow and go but gardening. annuals, herbs, veggies that sort of thing. take care of everything.

6. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

You could move up here to MA and do a couple walks, walls, and patios. Seems like eveyone has been asking me for a mason and it seems like it is a lost art around here. Slower pace, less customers and estimates to deal with. Huh...Maybe Im in the wrong business.

7. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

my first choice would be fert and chemicals.. they are getting stricter and stricter on regulations around me. ALso cehm lawn stinks around here.. a nice small chem and fert company who cares about the homeowner 100 percent would be my next move.. and maybe even get into some golf course fert/s[raying or big comercial. Stone masons to are very very hard to find these days
    anyone else see the fert side of the business coming stronger then ever???

8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Concrete Curbing i would just need 2 men to do the jobs.

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i think hydro would be great. i would get a 3,000 gallon finn mounted on a tandem axle truck pulling a tag trailer with a tractor and harley rack to put down the finish grade.

10. nobagger

from Pa

I know a guy selling all of his curbing stuff, he used it twice. Not much call for it around here.