If you won $1 million dollars,

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by kreft, Dec 16, 2007.

1. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

What would you buy for your company if you won 1 mil.
    I would buy a

Peterbilt dumptruck W/ Eager-Beaver Trailer

Mack lowboy

Chevy 3500HD With all the fixins'

Cat 297C with attachments

Cat 308 CR with Attachments

Cat 953C with bucket and root grapple

Cat D5 LGP

Cat 416D

What would you guys buy?

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd invest the money and take an early retirement. In the mean time, I'd keep working while the money was growing in investments. If I had to use the money just for the business, I'd build a new building much bigger then I need, let the business pay for it, and rent out 2/3 of it. I'd keep the building and sell it when I do get ready to retire.

3. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i would close up shop .. i can think of plenty of other things to do with a million that would give me a better return on the money rather than cut grass or landscaping

4. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, well i'm still young and just starting out in the buisness, and wan't some nice toys to make work more pleasurable:)

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Tell Ma & Pa they've got a new landlord now! [​IMG]

6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I'd close shop as well and then buy and fix up land for sale on my own schedule and terms.

7. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would invest at least half the money in more land. The other half I would buy run down house on say 2 to 5 acre lots that have been repossessed. I would knock down the house and then sell the lot at a much higher price. I have been looking into this lately. The money generated would buy more farm equipment and construction equipment a little at a time. I guess really I would not change much other than quit my day job as a tech. I love farming and construction work. I would be lost without it. Oh, I would have an Unlimited Super stock, or Super stock Diesel tractor. A good bit of the people I hang with have them.

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Lets assume that the mil was given to you by a "money guy" to invest in you business. What would you do then?

I would hire a high powered estimator and steal a couple of the best hands in the area.

I would make a couple purchases

newer Dump truck

tractor/lowboy

maybe a 3 yard loader

Once the work started coming in gauge my purchases from there.

The rest of the money would sit in reserve.

9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Sheesh Ksss!!!.........that is so practical, prudent and wise. I'd probably just sit in my office chair and giggle, chuckle.......and then when reality set in........wait forget reality for a moment! I'd hire the finest lookin' secretary money could buy ( for about a week ).......

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a house and put the rest away in investment savings and resist the urge to quit my job :laugh: