1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

if you would have started sooner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pines, Feb 26, 2004.

1. pines

pines LawnSite Member

in all honesty, if you would have started sooner where do you think you would be? the same? bigger operation? more trucks, tools etc., already have upgraded to the market you want to be in? The reason I ask is when I was in High School and College I worked for a landscaper who had a small operation out of his property consisting of 2 acres with his two sons..........well twenty years later I am starting as a small part time out of my house like he did and I still keep in touch with him and his sons. I ask the father recently how old he was when he was when he started. He said, " 37, that was my biggest mistake, I should have started sooner. " That company now operates out of a 150 acre piece of land with separate nursery and landscape operations. I was blown away when he told me what age he started.

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

If I started smarter I would have started a coffee shop!

3. pines

pines LawnSite Member

in Amsterdam?

4. levellawncare

levellawncare LawnSite Member

I'm 24 years old and I'm just getting started on my own. I worked for someone else for a couple of years before joining the Air Force. I have served 4 years now and have chose to get out and start my own lawn care business. Hope I haven't waited too late.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if i started at 24, i'd be a millionair today. no doubt

6. levellawncare

levellawncare LawnSite Member

Hope I reach that status

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I started at 21, just a month after i graduated college. Didnt want to start anything earlier because i wanted to concentrate on my education so i could be a step above my competition.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have teeth and the ability to speak in complete sentences, i AM a step above my competition.

9. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

That was beautiful Bobby, simply beautiful!

10. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 24 as well. This is my second year, and I feel real good about where I am. I started during my last quarter of college, and don't regret it a bit. I definitely feel blessed by God.

I can definitely see myself being a millionare before I retire (A college proffessor once told me "it's not hard to make money"...I believe that!), but remember there's more to it than money!!!