1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

If your ZTR Breaksdown, how do you get it back on the truck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, so I have a 32" Metro that I can push around real easy. Even when off, it's not too bad to do.

Thinking and looking at getting a larger 48/52 type of mower. Not sure yet between another w/b or a ZTR.

So it dawned on me.. How the heck would you get a ZTR back up onto a trailer *IF* the thing ever broke down on a customers lawn somewhere? They gotta weigh like 800+ pounds, no way you can push that up the back ramp onto the trailer, especially as a solo..

And what if you gotta go get a part or take it in for service and you work as a solo? Call up 4 friends and have everyone push?

Do you ever leave a mower on a customers property, hoping it'll still be there when you get back in.... 45 minutes or whatever?? What if the dealer is closed and you're really stuck with it not running?
  2. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

I take my 6'4" 292 lb body and I put all this quality strength training to work and I hoss it up the ramp onto the trailer. Nothing a little hossin' wont fix:D
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Well first of all, lets hope your going to try to get it on a trailer. That would be a lot easier. I used one ZTR to help push another one up onto the trailer one time. Another method I heard about was to dissconnect your trailer and block the wheels. Then run a tow strap from the back of your truck, to the trailer gate. Hook tow strap to the ZTR and drive truck forward pulling the ZTR up onto the trailer.
  4. Awilkinson

Awilkinson LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am not sure about other models, but the cub tank has release levers located at the rear of the machine which will disengage the drives. Very easy to push once they are disengaged. one man can get it on a trailer will little problem.
  5. Doogiegh

But that of course means that you have to be able to get the ZTR onto the street at the rear end of the trailer by the ramp to begin with AND have a tow strap with you AND have something to block the trailer wheels with. <G>

The idea of using 1 ZTR to get another on wouldn't work for me, and I'm sure my 32" metro couldn't pull the ZTR along, that's for sure..

I don't know what made me think of a breakdown, but I did and wondered "Man, how the heck would you ever get that back on the trailer as a SOLO Op?"

Sounds totally silly, but it's making me think that this issue is a hidden advantage (due to it's push-ability) for a walk behind.

6. Doogiegh

Does anyone know if Exmark has "Hydro-release" valves so that a ztr would be pushable?

7. Dependable Lawncare

Dependable Lawncare LawnSite Member

The exmark walk behind has a hydro release but I don't know if the ZTR does.
  8. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

I've been looking at ZTR's for about a year now and dreaming. One of the things I have looking at is to confirm that every ZTR I'm considering has a bypass on each of the Hyd. pumps. I have yet to find a ZTR that does not. Most pumps have a approx 5/8 nut located very close to the linkage connection. This not usually has a 1/4 hole thru the head, some have a bolt installed to use as a handle. Just turn the valve handle and the pumps will bypass all the fluid and you have a really heavy push cart.
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My 97 GH has a lever you flip to (called dump valves) put in neutral. My 99 GH has a bolt that you must turn.
  10. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

a come-along.