if you're better looking, do u get more work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 12, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

dumb question? perhaps, but, i bet it has a realistic answer. human behavior, companies spend millions studying it. the question is, out of a group of people, all possesing the same salesmanship skills, and all knowledgable to the same level, would "the better looking" people have the edge in landing more work, or the more profitable work? i'm not talking about being neat and well groomed, i'm talking actual god given beauty. i was thinking back, to when i was a teenager, perhaps 12 or so, i was quite chubby. obviously, i didn't get the same attention from my female peers as the other boys who weren't overweight. the summer between 8th and 9th grade, i lost 40 lbs. i jogged, lifted weights,i was a complete and total different person when 9th grade started. one thing i noticed, first off, the chics payed alot of attention to me, something that had never happened before. but to my surprise, the guys seemed to treat me differently also. they seemed to have more respect for me. also, the teachers treated me differently, also seeming to take me more serious and have some respect. speaking to my counceler( i was a troubled youth) this topic came up, and she stated that studies showed that the better looking someone is, the more respect they get all around, from people of both sexes, and of all ages. now i'm not talking sexual attraction from the opposite sex, i'm talking just being treated better, in general, from people of both genders. so, anyone have any input on this? do looks matter?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

beauty, no.
    well groomed, yes.

if you look like you just walked out of the woods from a 12 month adventure or out of the slammer you're not going get the same respect that you'd get if you take the time to shave in the morning. Around here there ain't much of a blue collar workforce, we're given even less respect just cause we don't wear suits to work.

if you want to be treated as a professional you've got to dress and act it.
  3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe appearance (god given beauty) does play a role, but in this industry it is a more limited role than in white collar positions. Sure it will give a positive initial impression that can help in landing new jobs, but then your demeanor gets evaluated. If you come across as unskilled, shady ethics, unreliable or unpredictable, those impressions override impressive looks in the long term. Our industry unfortunately is viewed by many in a lower respect class as lawyers, accountants, doctors just because we work harder and get dirtier. Most average joes dont understand the true knowledge and skills professional lawncare providers posses
  4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks play a big role. Probably a bigger role than one would think. For us companies that are doing mostly residential properties, like myself, 9 times out of ten we are dealing with the woman of the house. It is only natural for the female client to be more apt to hire someone of the opposite sex that is attractive. Even if she does not know thats what shes doing.

Im not saying a better looking person will always get the job over more qualified, less attractive people. But all things equal between two salesman, the good looker will get the job.

This is why it pays to always look professional, and your best, on every estimate.
  5. bobbygedd

from NJ

well then i guess it's time to clip my nose and ear hairs, i got 2 calls today
  6. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont forget the Old Stetson, Ladies love that $h*t.:D
  7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100% that looks will in fact help you in whatever you are doing. Not that they are the only thing people judge their decisions on, but it is just a natural instinct to do so, and everyone does it, even me!
    Like just going to eat in a restaurant, if you could choose, you'd ask to be seated in the section with the best looking waitress (at least I would) I think this is just human.
    Are you planning to hire a special "Estimate Giver" Bobby who's a sure ringer to land every job for you?? :D
    If so, post some pics so we can give you our opinions!

There have been a ton of studies done on just this, and more so with hiring new employees, but I am sure it all carries over to our industry as well.
    Good point, maybe that's why I get so many clients with bad eyesight?????:confused:
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Quote: if you're better looking, do u get more work?

If that were the case, we would have put all the competition out of business a long time ago with my good looks. :laugh:

Seriously though,
    It's been proven by studies that good looking people get treated better than just average looking folks in every day life.
    I can't remember the show that I was just recently watching on tv where they put this theory to the test. They had a good looking woman drop a briefcase/file full of papers on a busy sidewalk in new york. Almost everyone that passed by would bend down and help her pick up the papers. When an average looking woman did the same test, no one was willing to stop and help her. They did these types of tests over and over again and the good looking people were always treated much better.

In your case Bobby, just target the elderly clients that may be losing their crisp vision, and you won't have to worry about landing the jobs.. ;)

Just kidding with ya. :D

Bottom line, people might not admit it, but looks do play a part in the real world.
  9. bobbygedd

from NJ

by the way jodi, ignoring my emails is very rude.
  10. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I remember seeing a show on Dateline or 20/20 where they did this test with a kindergarten or 1st grade classroom and they had 2 teachers teach the same exact topic. One was a hottie and the other teacher was below average looks and overweight. The hottie wasn't nearly as skilled in teaching the topic to the kids as the overweight teacher.

However, at the end of the day the kids all said they liked the hottie teacher better. They thought she was a better teacher. They thought she was nice and friendly.

So for whatever reason, looks seem to play a role very early in life.