1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

if youre cheap enough...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

more and more around here in walmartville people are caring less about quality and more about price. 70% of calls i get, people act like or even say that as long as im cheap enough, they dont care what the job looks like. anyone consider offering a cheap, half @$$ line of services for the growing number of walmartians? could you actually make more $$$ by doing cheap work?

one of the biggest companies here in town screws something up almost every day, yet the line grows to sign up with them, cause they are just so dam cheap!

i know... having a reputation for quality is better than one for cheap, but if cheap grew the biz faster.....? :confused:

2. ArkansasLawns

ArkansasLawns LawnSite Member

When you first get a call ask the customer if they work for walmart. If so then tell them that you don't cut for anyone involved with walmart.:cool2: :cool2:

3. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

"but if cheap grew the biz faster"

What kind of thinking is that??;)

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

look folks, it's all about the money.

if a cheapass customer wants the job done cheap, AND it is a money maker even if done on the cheap, I say provide the service.

I have never made a nickel on a job I didn't take.

GEO

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'd rather pick and choose the better paying customers and work a little less. It'll take longer to grow your biz but it's worth it in the end.

6. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

You are so wrong...I would love to see your business plan?? You never make money by going backwards. You have to stick to your prices it's that easy.. This is not "Let's make a deal" If you lower your price your only hurting your business in the long run..

7. dlr1

dlr1 LawnSite Member

i think the ones who want a lower price are usually the first to complain as well

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sir--I think it is very pompous of you to indicate you know more about my business than I do and your public spanking isn't appreciated.

just for your information, I am very efficient in my market and I pick and choose my customers wisely as well as I do all of my decisions in in this business.

like I said, I have never made a nickel on a job I didn't take. have you?

GEO

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'll do jobs on the cheap.

Personally, I think quality is ABSOLUTELY over rated.

Seriously, it's grass cutting.

It's like a bad hair cut, if you don't like it, it'll be corrected next week.

Anyways, I guess doing jobs on the cheap is relavent as well, since I'm cheap in my market, yet I still average $75-100 / hour.

You look at JustMowIt.

I'd say they do jobs on the cheap. BUT there's other factors as well.

I'll only do it, if it's a one time gig, I don't have anywhere else I need to be immediately, and it's right next to, or across the street from a property I'm currently maintaining.

If you're going to set up your entire business this way, then you need to be in a densely populated area, because drive time will kill you.

That's what happened to me when I tried running with guys and doing residentials for $30-40 / week 8-9-10 years ago. Where I live, in order to have 130 yards, you're driving 50-60 miles / day. The windshield time basically killed me.

10. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Get used to that on here. I agree with you. I do a couple of lawns where the people wanted a lower price and said they didn't care how it looked so I lowered it 5 bucks and do the quickest cut and runs I can. No edging and trim once a month(although the wouldn't care if I didn't) for the hell of it. They never complain and it's fast and easy money. The yards still look as good as many of the home owner cut yards in the hood. When I first started and tried to do a few bi weekly cuts that's who would complain even though I warned them about how it would look. IMO, it's the cheap rich ones who complain . And that's who I run from.