1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ignition Key Cylinder

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bommaritro, Jun 4, 2003.

1. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

Just got a call from my guys saying that they lost the bleeping truck keys. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I called a locksmith and they want 90+ to come and fix and 40+ if I bring it to them. I asked the guy if I could bring it to them I wouldn't have called asking how much it cost to fix.:dizzy:

Have any of you replace the ignition key cylinder? It only costs $12 I am just worried about how long it is going to take me to do it. The truck is an 87 f250 4x4 and it is currently sitting in my driveway. The hey cylinder in on the column not the dash. I can handle it being down for a few days so if it gets to be to much of a hassle I will have the locksmith fix it for me.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

First, you might call the sellling dealer. Many times they keep the key number on file. You can take that number and have a key made for a few dollars.

If that doesn't work, to replace the lock cylinder is a little bit of work. You need a steering wheel puller, and if you have a tilt wheel, it becomes a bit more complicated. Lockplate compressor and other tools are needed.

Suggest you look hard for the lost keys, even to the extent of contacting the old owner.