1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ignition (key) problems

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by FIRESCOOBY, Sep 26, 2007.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Last week I was unable to get my key into the ignition to start the mower. I rarely take the key out unless mower is sitting outside the trailer. Other than that key stays in ignition, with NO other keys or even a key ring attached.

Now...the key will not go all the way into the slot. I'm having to use a small screwdriver to start and turn off.

Is this warranty? I'd like to be able to swap it myself instead of taking mower 25 miles one way to dealer.

I'd appreciate any help.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I don't know why it would be messed up.
    A dealer needs to look at it to determine if its warranty and the dealer needs to do the warranty work also.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

There is dirt in the key slot. Blow it out good and put some oil on the key and work the key in the slot. Had the same problem several times.
  4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

What Gene said is correct.
    Using the screw driver has probably screwed things up a bit now though! Replacing the switch is very easy to do yourself!