Ignition key-slot - Replacable?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Woods 44" ZTR Mow-N-Machine. It has electric start.

The key goes into the hole and turns and turns and turns. Apparently the chamber inside is worn to hell. I *CAN* get the mower started with a get this - Screwdriver - and turn it off the same way. But I'm sure the "ignition" is getting stripped each time it goes on and off. Is that something that's a $5.00 replacement part, a $50 part or $250 and big bucks?

Looking at the back side of the switch, there are 3 terminals with wires attached, I assume Pos, Neg and Start.

Any idea where to get such a part? Thanks.

Gary

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Any lawnmower shop or even auto parts store. Use the driver until then. Should be OK.

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Tumblers/pins inside are worn out. Guessing $20 to $30 for part. All you need to do is replace the it. Take it off, BE SURE TO TAG WIRE/TERMINAL LOCATIONS, take it to an equipment dealer or auto parts shop, get one with same (or more) number of connection terminals. Should come with a wiring diagram.

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Try your dealer. I needed a switch for a Toro 21" and it cost me $12. Mine only had two terminals, so you are probably looking at about $20 for yours.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Under $25 do it yourself getting the part from a dealer. One of those from my parts store with my discount would be probably $7-10. Easy fix.