Ignition Switch Wiring

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by beaglegun, May 12, 2008.

1. beaglegun

beaglegun LawnSite Member

I use a Smithco Super Rake to work up the infield of the local high school baseball team. The ignition switch went bad and I ordered another one (092377MA). It looks almost the same but the contacts must be different. I need to know what each of the 6 contacts are so I can get this thing going. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 16 hp Vangaurd. Can anybody help?

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

3. beaglegun

beaglegun LawnSite Member

It's the 13-550 super rake with a 19 hp B&S Vanguard but the B&S ignition switch I have to install is a B&S, 092377MA -SWITCH -KEY. I don't believe the contact poles are the same.

4. Bill Kapaun

So I'm supposed to download 6 different manuals off a slow, flaky website so I can compare them against each other to make sure there aren't any differences between them before I reply?
    OR- you can supply the serial number and I only have to download ONE manual off a slow, flaky website?

Why not just get the proper switch? NAPA might have it if your local Briggs dealer doesn't.

5. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

If the back of the switch is clean, see if it has letters either on the switch body or the terminals, sometimes it takes an Exacto knife(razor) and carb cleaner to get the metal clean enough to see the letters on the terminals, if the letters match the new switch,you should be o.k.,however just to make it harder, most of the switches nowdays are coming minus any letters (the S.O.B.s) just keep figuring ways to screw with us.

6. Bill Kapaun

BAD IDEA!
    Switches can be marked identically on the outside and be different internally. Sometimes with very bad results.

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The pattern on back of of the switch MUST match. Below are 3 switches that have 5 terminals and will all plug in to the same plug but if you tried to plug the wrong switch into the wrong machine the results could be a burned up machine. Seen this happen so many times I have long since lost count.
    NOTE= Even in the patten does match it is not a 100% sure thing but if they do not match you better not even think about using it.

switches.JPG