1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ignorant Contractors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdb landscaping, Jun 27, 2002.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Today i pulled up to one of my accounts to find painters painting the house. Sure they had some ladders and such around, but i figured the lawn has to be done, so ill just go around the stuff and hit it next week. The painter comes up to me and yells "Do you have to do this now? Why dont you come back?" I told him that i would just go around his stuff and shoot any grass away from the house so the paint wont be affected. I could mow almost all the lawn except one small section which ill just hit next week. The guy even had a hose running into the woods where he was cleaning his paint cans in the woods (the DEP would have a field day im sure). Anyway, what would you all do? come back or do like i did? I couldve come back in a day or two, but since he was such a jerk, i just decided to mow it. Granted a call from the customer letting me know the painters were going to be there wouldve solved the whole problem. I understand why he was kind of mad, but he makes it like his time is more valuable then mine. The least he couldve done was understood a little better.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Matt, Hows it goin... Hope all is well...

I have had this happen many times.. Running into other contractors on job sites.... I will ( if they are already there ) Go up to them and say, hey listen , I gotta cut the lawn here, so just give me 15 or 20 minutes and i'll be outta your hair, If they have stuff everywhere then just ask nicely to move it outta your way, and they will, but usually most guys keep a neat site and have stuff usually in one area.. So that s not a biggy.. Just like you said go back next week and get it all... I have this one client who had a deck done and its been a month now and the contractors stuff is still everywhere.. saw horses, piles of wood and scraps in 3 diff piles on the lawn,,,, Ughh... What kind of pro is this ???
    A little kindness goes along way... I've met contractrs who now give me refferals , cause of these situations. Just handle it professionally , but you get jerks once in a while , sometimes in that case it could be better to just walk away... and charge the cust for a service visit anyway, cause they wasted your time, by not informing you .. Not your fault...
  3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow what you can and leave the rest for next week. They didn't bother to call you. They can have a not perfect lawn for a week. When they bi--h tell them they didn't call so get over it.
  4. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Speaking of other contractors...I just started commerical sprinkler installation this year. I can't tell you how many times I had to fix breaks is sprinkler lines and other problems. The great thing is none of them where my doing, they were ALL caused by other contractors in the area.

The best one was the painters. They drove a crane over a valve box with a 2" feed and three 2" valves watering the store garden center and my newly intalled landscape. They snapped the mainline in several places and completely shattered the valves. Huge mess.
  5. We will mow it on a different day if the customer warns us a head of time. Once we are on the road for the day it will get cut if scheduled that day.

Otherwise it gets mowed when we arrive.

I had a lady complain we didn't do the enitire lawn once, she had some guy doing what I don't know with stuff left all over the lawn. We went around those and she refused to pay for that cutting. Needless to say that was the last one she had from us.

My favorite is the driveway sealed and no one calls to tell you. We still mow it. If we have to drive accross it that part does not get mowed that week.

I have a few nerotic customers that call to schedule stuff like this right after we mow. don't know why they just don't have it done the next day or so.
  6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

We pull up on one side of the lawn and begin to unload an string the trimmers.

Chem lawn pulled up on the oppisit side of the lawn and began spraying. We decided to just sit back and watch as he sprayed arround the mower sitting in the lawn. He finished up in about 15-20 min. 10 min. later it began to poor. (they were spraying a B.L. Herb.)

We left the home owner a note. I'm sure we'll have the spraying next year.
  7. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

should have told him you needed to cut the lawn and asked him to come back later
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Most guys are decent and will not have a problem with it. If the homeowner calls prior to me arriving I can reschedule also but if I show up I am mowing.

I like the ChemLawn story above, I have seen that happen all too often.
  9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've had that happen a few times too. I show up and they have a crew there. Sometimes for a week or so, so they KNEW I would be inconvenienced. They just don't care. America seems to be full of semi-socialized adults these days. I just avoid the whole mess, I don't like mowing around people, for liability and other reasons. They get in the way and slow me down. I leave a note saying why I'm not mowing today and hit it later. If it happens again, I usually just drop them and find a better customer. The aggravation and hassle they go through trying to find another lawn maintenance service mid-summer makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
  10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I never even get out of the truck if I see someone else working. Got to understand it ain't the painters fault either. He was there first so let him get done. If I could have done the frt yard only then I would have. I don't like mowing around others either. You open yourself up for all kinds of stuff.