Ih 1586

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cat2, Jan 24, 2008.

1. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

What does everyone know about the IH 1586 tractor? thinking about buying one. i'm all john deere though. i want to know everything the good the bad and the ugly

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

haha funny you should bring it up...i just bought an IH 886 today and have always been a Deere man, we have never owned IH so it will be a learning experience...i couldn't pass this deal up. They are your lugging tractors...not real good for smaller work, but stick a chisel or disk on them and they run

the one thing i didn't like about this 886 is that the fuel tank is in the back so you can't see the 3pt or drawbar so it almost takes two people to hook up an implement

tractor 010.jpg

3. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Biggest 2wd IH tractor at the time, can be turned up a good bit, kinda rough riding since they are short, levers all around you. Cannot remember if they had the TA but I assume they did. If so that was always IH weak link because people did not know how to shift them. You need to shift them with no hesitation quickly. Im trying to remember if they had rear end issues. Im thinking maybe but not sure. You might want to go to the red power magazine website. I know they are good with IH stuff there.

4. Fieldman12

IH made good tractors. They are a beast!!

5. Fieldman12

Okay, Dirtdigger Im jealous!! How much did you give for the old gal if you dont mind me asking.

6. I ran a 1586 for a few years, loved the tractor it was a beast and would pull good, easy to work on, and fuel pump was easy to increase hp on.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The 1586 same as the 1566 and the 3788 had plenty of power. If my memory serves me they were rated at the time for about 175 hp but as stated it is not hard to pull more out of them. These tractors for some reason only had three forward speeds in each range until the 1466, 1486 and 3588 they had 4 speeds. I never understood that. I put almost 5K hours on a 3788. I loved that tractor. The only issue with these machines is the T/A. There are after market kits that are said to have fixed the issues with it. I don't know that first hand but probably one of the farm sites would have more insight on that. What kind of money are you looking at?

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

he had it setting on his lot for about 6 months...originally wanted 8K...had it marked at 7K yesterday and i gave him $6300...i think he wanted it off the lot, thats why he let me talk him down

9. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 67' 1286 that I wouldn't get rid of. They are great machines!! I love old red iron

10. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

I am a deere guy through and through but my dad's buisness partner has one on his farm and I help him in the fall and in the spring with hauling grain tillage and other things and I thought it was a good tractor. Good power, good visiblity, easy to operate. The one thing that you will find okward is that you have levers on both sides of you unlike a deere where everything is on the right side of you. All in all though I liked it.