I'll do it myself

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I always get a kick out of people that request quotes for things like shrub pruning and mulching and the famous "clean out my mulch beds" and then when they get your price they whine about how high it is.

I usually tell them that this is not as easy as riding around on a mower. It requires some back breaking work.

So, time goes by and then you get the call.

Hey Mr. LCO I was going to prune the shrubs myself but......"my allergies are bothering me", "my back is causing problems", "my knee is acting up" or whatever excuse they have to come up with to save face.

It is a different story when they have to face getting out there themselves. Suddenly, your price doesn't look so high.

2. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

I agree, I notice the same thing. Do you guys charge jobs like that by the job, or by the hour? I have done both, but prefer by the hour as I find the customer decides to add on tasks when I'm done what they request. Then they pull the," it's only 1 more tree...it'll only take 10 minutes." :hammerhead:

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't like the ones that say 'I would do it myself but I don't have the time.'

I don't know why this is so, but this one is a sign of trouble pending to me.

Most every other excuse I'm ok with so long it doesn't translate to 'I don't want to spend a lot of money.'

4. Tn Lawn Man

I charge by the job. But, I have gotten the "one more thingers" too often. I now immediately say...."sure I can do that, let me price it out for you first".

That slows them down drastically.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

LMAO, We have the same problem.... Or, my wife is in the hospital but I see her in town when I was going to look at the property

6. Tn Lawn Man

I agree. Some of the worst customers are the ones with mowers sitting in their garage. It is like they are waiting for one slip up or one high bid on something and then BAM...you're fired and they do it themselves.

Whenever I encounter one of these customers I put them in a category as if they didn't really exist on my route. Because, chances are they will cancel soon anyways.

7. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I do the same thing. When i give a quote for something and they accept they will then add in all the extras. At that point i will say sure i can do that and it will only be $50 (or whatever the amount is) more should i do that for you today while i am here??

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

People are a hoot....