ill hire the neighbors kid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by moremowing, Aug 21, 2004.

1. moremowing

moremowing LawnSite Member

:eek: :drinkup: You gotta love this one......... one of my best paying mowing accounts lives directly accross the street, their a couple in there 8os. I get a phone call, they tell me there gonna hire this 14 year old kid they know at church to trim there hedges now, since they feel my hedge trimming price is too high. I say ok fine with me, since she always wants every single leaf picked up that falls into the beds, a real pita that is. i usually charge 25 an hour for hedges, so i feel like there doing me a favor hiring him. They call again, hey can we borrow your tarp? I say sure lol. The kid shows up on his bike, im out trimming my hedges at the time. They lend him a gas powered craftsman hedger, kid and the couple cant get it started, pulling on it for 15 minutes and no fire. Im watching and lmao while there diagnosing the 2 stroke problem, walk over there, kid never primed the bulb, gas is stale, wont even think of firing. You think we can borrow one of yours? they ask? lol, i wind up coaching this kid on how to start it how to restart ithow to opperate it and how not to cut his thinger off while trimming. he has those real baggy jeans on, that hang low. He cuts for 5 minutes and says there. hes done. Looks like a schizophrenic on acid trimmed these hedges. The couple say oh that looks wonderful lol. im speachless lol. I saved face to keep my lawn and gathered up the equipment, the kid says mr? I say yesss? you think next summer you might hire me? Uh sure kid maybe next year, wink, nod. :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Send them a bill for the $25 per hour for using equipment and consulting fees.
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

big no-no you committed. I know you probably know, but letting others use you equipment is a huge liability.

4. GBCS

GBCS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

That's a funny story. No way would I let them use my pro trimmer and I would not let them use my tarp either. If they offered to pay for the trimmer use I might would give them the tarp for no fee. :D
  5. moremowing

Gave them a break cause were neighbors, besides i was watching and training the little knucklehead, whats the worse that could happen? lol:confused: :eek:
  6. GBCS

GBCS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Hopefully they will not hire him to start mowing now that he has done a "wonderful" job. :eek:
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I know it's tough where and how to draw a line with neighbors. It would have been one thing to borrow your hedge trimmer to trim the shrubs themselves, but they didn't. They told you your price was too high and hired someone else. Then you help them out for free. I know YOU want to be a good neighbor, and you were. The problem is, they weren't a good neighbor back to you. They didn't treat you like you treated them. They should have paid a little more to have you trim the shrubs just to be a good neighbor. So the way I see it, they treated you poorly yet you were kind to them. This isn't even a neighbor issue as much as a business issue.
  8. moremowing

Real good point randy
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I had one the other day across the street from one of my regular customers whose lawn I also did a 1 time cut only because as she said they "got behind and their push mower was choking out". Now this is a very nice $300K house that they pay Chemlawn for monthly treatments and have a auto sprinkler system yet they refuse to let us (pay us I should say) maintain their lawn even though we do all of the surrounding lawns and because of that I gave them a killer price that they agreed was fantasic and love our work but they still cut it themselves but only every 2 weeks or so because she said they "hate" doing it, don't trim or even blow or sweep off the drive, street or sidewalks, just cut and make a huge mess. Well the other day we are cutting the house directly across the street and she comes over and tells me she can't get her push mower started and ask me to look at it for her. Well, being the nice guy I am I go over and work on it and get it started for her. It just kills me that they will do that and pay a chemical company and for sprinklers but won't pay for a LCO, mine or anybody elses!:angry:
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Now why would they when they got some dumb azz who will give them a "killer price" and then fix there mower when it won't start lmao