I'll Just call the Cops!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Apr 19, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing this morning in a small residential area and as I pulled up to the house the curb on his side was blocked with parked cars. So I double parked as I always do, turned on my flashers and put out traffic cones to be noticed. I was only there 30 mins. As I was trimming a man walked up to me and said, "You can't block the street like that!" I said, "I'm not blocking the road, people can get by, am I in your way at all?" "No, I live across the street." So I said, "So what's the problem then?" "You just can't block the street like that, I can call the police to settle this if you want!" I said, "Do whatever makes you happy, I'm busy now, maybe I'll consider parking somewhere else next time."

He just walked away all mad. I thought I was being polite enough by putting traffic cones out so people would see me, but remember this is just a slow residential street and people had a good lane and a half to get by. Against all instincts, I kept my mouth shut and gave the least smart a$$ed comments I could.

Has anyone ever bugged you guys while working, for no apparent reason, just to raise some hell?

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

uh-huh. He's probably got a problem with your customer. Hey, those people make the day interesting.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what would tony saprano do? who ever said violence is not the answer, never had the satisfaction of wackin someone upside the head with a shovel. the first time is rough, after that, it's like second nature....anyway, sometimes when i'm stoppin home for a few min, i'll pull right in front of my house, there is a fire hydrant there. the nieghbor comes out and says she gonna call the cops on me. i laugh and go in the house.

4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer who has a neighbor who watches everything I do, and if I park 1 inch too close to her driveway she calls the cops, I don't know what she says to them on the phone, but they always come, laugh a bit with me and then leave without doing anything. Go figure, some people just have nothing better to do.

5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a guy who yelled at me for parking in front of his house to do his neighbors across the street, i politely told him i would only by 30 mins and he laughed and walked off, the next week i pulled up and there was a no parking sign in front of his house, im thinking he worked for the city, so some grass from the curb accidentialy made it on to his driveway when i was blowing :angel:

6. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

I would have run him down with the mower.

7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Next week I will park in front of his house and see how he likes that. I will be properly parked and "out of the way." Guess we will see if he has a problem.

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I got a street where they bi*ch about parking they have some 20 or so no parking signs in fact the entire street has them it has no traffic and I am not parking 3 streets over and walking to the lawn accounts. So I have heard the " you can't park here " line before to that I say I am not parking I am working perhaps if you worked for a living you would know the difference. So go ahead call the cops I'll be gone by the time the get here. That is one thing I do love about larger mowers out side the acre lawns I don't know what a 30 min lawn is most are 10-15 mins sometimes less.

9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Last Wednesday I pull up and start mowing a lawn. Aftwerwards I'm pulling weeds out of the beds and the guy across the street looks at me and says "You know this ain't right." My truck and trailer were parked in front of his house, which was across the street from my customer's.

I get up and approach him. It wasn't a pleasant conversation. I think he was expecting some non-educated lawn monkey hired hand. I offered to move my truck a few feet. He said don't worry about it.

The guy wanted to b!tch more than he wanted what he was b!tching about fixed. Some people are bored I guess. Still can't figure out what motivates these people, though.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

One time we were driving to a cutomer s house in upscale rural housing area and we kind of cut the corner a little short as a lady was coming from the other way. No imminant accident or anything , she just had to slow down a little. So any way she flips a U turn and follows us to our stop. She gets out and starts bitchin at us. We said we were sorry. She said im calling your boss. Took the number off side of the truck. She left a really irrate message on MY office answer machine.She thought she was going to get ME fired.:D :laugh: :laugh: