i'll just make the check out to "cash"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 29, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

on a $650 mulch job, customer says , "how much?" i say, "including tax, $689." he says, "what, u said $650? i aint paying the tax, i'll just make the check out to cash." i say, "no way dude, i'm just too small and too cute to go to prison." i get alot of this, how bout u guys?

2. noiseyvoyzey

noiseyvoyzey LawnSite Member

All the time, sometimes what I do is figure the tax into the quote so I dont have to say "650 + tax" I just say 690. Alot of people dont like to pay sales tax on lawn mowing or other yard work.

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

On bigger job the tax is included in the price but we don't tell the customer that. When we give them the bill we add the taxes on. If all goes well and they give us a hassle about the taxes and pay on time if there is repeat business then we give them a "discount" that is about the same as the taxes. It's kind of a pita let's see how you pay your bills kind of dea;.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

All my WRITTEN estimates say "Prices do not include tax."

5. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Isn't Mulch considered Landscaping , so the customer does not have to pay sales tax???

6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

if the invoice is NOT itemized then they dont have to pay tax!

landscape services,,,,,$650.00 no tax

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Don't you have to pay tax on services in FL?

In NY they want to collect sales tax on just about any goods or services sold. So if you were to bill a client for $650, you would only have $606.06 left after paying sales tax, at least in my county.

8. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Who paid the tax on the product?

If you're being charged, the client does too.

Bobby's problem is that he's too close to too many folks that want something for nothing.

9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

All my Estimates state the price MULCH $650 + $39 State Sales Tax = $689.

Can't let a guy that "doesn't want to pay sales tax" run YOUR BUSINESS!

Mike

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i do what my accountant tells me to do. he says charge tax on everything under $1000. anything over is considered a home improvement and not taxable. also, anything "permenant" is not taxable. this means "being held together with nails or cement." all my estimates say $30+tax, etc