1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I'll lose a $35,000 a year mowing acct. if I can't finish by noon!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastlane, Aug 5, 2005.

1. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

I'm solo. My only commercial acct. averages 17 hrs a week-2 days.This is 2nd year doing this acct. 2 year contract. I've done owners house 4 years and he asked me to do this. This is an office complex The complaint is ''noise 8 hrs a day for 2 days". They want a crew 4 or 5 guys to start at 7 or 8am and be done by noon. If I buy 1 60" or 72" I would have enough equipment for the crew. But!!!! what would the crew do the other 4 1/2 days a week? I have 32-35 hours of work a week. I can't find work that fast. Is it possible to find 4 good workers for one day a week? I have to Sept.1st to sign new 2 year contract. What would you do ?
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Find a part-timer to help you out for now. Maybe a college student or even a retired person looking for some supplemental income. Check with your nearest employment agency or temp service.
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

could you do it on the weekend or evenings
  4. The Grass Amputator

The Grass Amputator LawnSite Member

At one of my contracts, the complaint heard, aside from the noise issue, was grass being carried by the wind and onto parked cars. I tried blowing off the grass with my blower, but you can't get it all...... I remedied the situations by mowing on Saturdays when they're closed. Works better this way, because I'm actually getting done an hour quicker due to the fact that I can mow areas that I had to weedeat before due to the parking situation.

5. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Would it be possible to break it up into sections? Work a few hours a day on different sections each day. Try to start very early in the morning.
  6. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I forgot. Bobby's answer is probably something like... TUFF! Take the days off while I working here if you don't like it! Call in sick if you prefer, just stay out of my way.

7. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Get a light kit on your mower and start early...EARLY (before anyone is in the office), then all you'll have to do is trim, edge, and blow it by noon!

just my two cents. :drinkup:
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Funny what comes up now and then huh? I've had things come up that I wouldn't have dreamt about when I first got started. Who could have known that they would be bitchy about you working there for 2 days. On the other hand, you were probably thinking "great, 2 days work". People. If I ever win the lottery, I'm gonna be a hermit somewhere in Montana with my rifle by my side!
  9. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

find something else to do .. this contract doesn't fit your company any longer ..

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

Have you thought about getting another LCO to help you out? Sub the one account for either trimming or mowing, and you can be there to work and make sure it is done right. You won't get the profit margin you have right now, but this is an account that you will probably "grow" into.