"Ill mow it every other week"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FiveOJoe, Apr 27, 2007.

1. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Got a customer that asked me to cut every other week and she would take care of it in between my cuts. Looking to grow in the neighborhood so I took the job. I show up 9 days ago on a Wednesday and it had not been cut the previous week as promised. She said she got busy. I cut it and she said she would see me in two weeks. I just went by the house and it has not been cut (9 days) and is already very long. I will show up next Wednesday (14 days) and it will be VERY LONG and I should................................................................................................................................????
  2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Who does she think you are:hammerhead: " you cut one week, i'll cut the next, you cut the next week, I'll cut the next":laugh: :dizzy:
    She's taking advantage of you... she may have to be dumped. Doesn't sound like it's gonna get any better. Sorry about that but thats the craziest agreement.
  3. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Oh, I'm aware of what she is trying to pull off. I'm just wondering should I just drive by and ignore her or call her to tell her I'm not doing it anymore.
    As far as the agreement, I figured she may have just wanted a good edging and trimming along with the mowing every other week and was looking to save some money. I did see she had a mower so I told he I would do it as long as she did cut it.

I'm trying not to be confrontational and thought it was a new twist on an old game of " I just want it cut twice a month."
  4. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

I was doing that for a lady, because her husband was gone every other week. They cut like they said they would.

Just show up like they want, but talk to her about the price going up BEFORE you cut it.
  5. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

if she doesn't hold her end of the bargain, you have no other choice to drop her....but first, "accidentally" forget the yard for about a month, ignore her calls for a month, and then call back saying you were "busy" too, OOPS:rolleyes:
  6. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Definitly call her and let her know that you won't be doing it any more and thanks for you business ( if you don't want here business anymore). I here of way to many LCO's dumping clients for whatever reason and not telling them, just leaving the customer hanging. Not a good business practice.

If she just wants a good edging and trimming everyonce in a while then ask her to give you a call when she needs you and you'll come and do it but it will be per service depending on what needs to be done.
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge her extra cause its twice the work
  8. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I could have told you right from the start never to take the job. that's an automatic no-no. if they say it only needs to be cut every other week tell them you'll try it, but if it's too long you have to do it every week. if they happily except fine, if not walk away. if they say they will cut it in between walk away, they NEVER do. Think about it, if they were going to cut there grass they never would have called you in the first place!! duh!

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

hah people...

id have fun with it...call her and tell her it will be another 4 days because youre running behind...and then dont show,.......shell be at some 20 days without a cut and theres no way shes gonna find another guy to cut for the price youre doing it for when the grass is 2 feet high

then she'll either pay an enourmus bill to the next guy or spend 2 days cutting and bagging with a push mower..

i dont think shell do the 2 week thing again
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A lawn service is a luxury service. If they can't spend the money then it's not for them. I don't make money off 'half customers'.