I'll pass on Redmax

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScCo, Feb 8, 2004.

1. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

Well, as impressive as I'm sure redmax equipment is by all of the praises it receives on this forum, I'll be passing it up. There's not a dealer with 100 miles of me that has anything more than a weedeater or two in stock. I don't know why people even sign on to be dealers for a certain brand if they aren't going to stock anything.

I've been trying to pick up a whole round of Redmax equipment (string trimmer, blower, edger, hedge trimmers) and the ONLY thing any dealer has in the 100 mile radius is a freakin' 23cc string trimmer. No blower, no edger, no hedge trimmers. Pretty disappointing. I'm tired of my old echo stuff, and want something better, but apparently redmax and their dealers aren't interested in selling their equipment.

Of course all of the "dealers" are more than willing to order the equipment for me. So my obvious question is "when would it be here if you ordered it?" So far I'm told that I'd be waiting a minimum of two weeks. No go, I'll be mowing by then. :mad:

So, I ask why they don't have anything in stock. The answer I receive from 3 of 5 dealers that I talked to is that their sales rep. hasn't been by to take orders yet and that they don't want to call in any orders because that would cost extra for shipping.

Concluding point is that either the dealers are too cheap to stock anything, or the sales rep for my region needs to get off his a$$ and get some equipment in these stores. No way anyone should have to wait 2 weeks on equipment...especially not with the season being just around the corner.

Anyhow, shindaiwa here I come. :cool:

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

cant say i blame you. i wouldnt go with a dealer that dosent stock the gear, what makes you think that they would stock parts on gear they dont even have!

if youve got a shindy dealer near by, with parts, equip and a fair price tag, god bless and go with it.

3. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

ain't nothing wrong with shindaiwa

4. ScCo

the local shiny dealer won't work with me much on prices, but that isn't the big issue. they do stock a lot of equipment and parts, so that takes care of my main concerns. The equipment will pay for itself.

I agree with the statement on not knowing what the redmax dealers have in way of parts if they don't stock any of the machines.

I was definitely surprised to see such poorly setup "dealerships" for such highly sought after equipment.

5. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

SCCO check your pm's

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have to say I am in the same boat as you. they have one split boom and all the fetures to go with it but nothing else. Oh and a whole line of echo. Why?
    Red Max better get on the ball or they will loose alot of potential customers.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty much the same reasons I have never tried them. Toro and Stihl is what the local guys carry so that is what I use.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Lots of marginal undercapitalized dealers out there. Unfortunately, brands that aren't well established are tempted to allow those who probably can't afford to stock a full line be their dealers because they're trying to grow the brand.

But even at at large dealers, I'm surprised how often they won't have a mower in stock to demo that I am interested in.

Imagine going to buy a Honda Accord and not being able to test drive it.

The manufacturers should probably require someone to stock a full selection to keep their dealer status active. To do otherwise is probably a sign of a likely downward spiral. (no demo equipment = no sales = no money to stock equipment) Some brands out there make very good equipment with innovative ideas, but then drop the ball in terms of establishing a good dealer network.

My pet peeve is going by a dealer who stocks 4 brands of commercial mower, 3 of trimmers, but who has only a few popular models in stock or available for demonstrations, and only 1 fully trained mechanic. How can they be expert in all these products if they've never seen half of them? Usually I know more about a mower than the salesman. Then again, that goes for car dealers too.

9. ScCo

just to add to what Bruce was talking about, 2 of these dealers have been selling Redmax equipment for several years...one claimed to have been selling redmax for 6 years. Even said how he's never had a customer that was unhappy with their redmax equipment.

i'd think if he had been selling them that long and that successfully, stocking the equipment might be a good idea. ;)

10. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

don't feel that disappointed. here's my collection. echo: srm260s, pe240,pp2100, pb2400, srm2100. redmax: two 4400 back pack blowers, strato charged split boom, two strato charged weed eaters, and strato charged edger. all 25.4 cc. the echos all do most of our trimming, and give less trouble. the pull starts on our blowers give lots of trouble, and the modules on the redmaxes give trouble too. people praise redmax alot for some reason, but they've been far more trouble to me. redmax doesn't support their dealers either. that's alot of the trouble you're experiencing. a friend of mine is a dealer, and he has to turn the internet to see what they're coming out with, get recalls, so-on. he just found out last month that they make a 7001 blower. if you don't like echo, try stihl or shindaiwa. i know some people that use them, and they have good luck.